Describing the recent rape of tribal girls in Kanker district in the state as "more heinous" than the Delhi gang-rape incident, social activist Swami Agnivesh today said the reaction of the Governor and Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh was "inadequate".
Accusing Governor Shekhar Dutt of being "insensitive" towards the issues related to tribals in the Naxal-affected state, Swami Agnivesh demanded his removal.
"This (Kanker rape case) is something more gruesome then the December 16 gang-rape incident in Delhi. It is so unfortunate that ten days have passed (after the Kanker incident), but the governor and chief minister have not visited the place," Agnivesh told reporters here.
He was taking to the reporters after visiting Jahliyamari village in Kanker district where the minor inmates of a government-run residential school for tribal girls were allegedly raped by two persons, including a teacher of the school.
"CM and the Governor should immediately visit that place and find out for themselves what really went wrong," he said, adding that "I have seen that basic facilities are lacking there".
"I will submit my report on Kanker to President Pranab Mukherjee and will ask for the removal of Shekhar Dutt as Governor. The Governor should resign by himself or President will remove him," he said.
Chief Minister Raman Singh has stayed away from visiting Jhaliyamari village, citing that it could disclose victims' identities.
On being asked about the course of investigation in the case, he said, "small fries are being punished. This is not an isolated case. It's been going on for years. A similar case has come to light in Balod district. The chief minister and governor should take moral responsibility for all of that".
Meanwhile, a group of youth shouted slogans against Swami Agnivesh, saying that he was allegedly linked to Naxalites.
Agnivesh Slams Chhattisgarh CM Over Rape of Tribals
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3.29 Lakh Cases, 3,876 Deaths
- Payworld To Help Rural Folks With Vaccine Registration
- Users Who Don’t Accept New Privacy Terms Won’t Be Able To Receive Calls: WhatsApp
- Domestic Travel Bans Can Increase Covid-19 Cases
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Covid Explained: How Vaccines Work On Different Body Types
- What Is Ivermectin, FDA-Approved Drug That Goa Has Recommended?
- Fact Check: Has Covaxin Been Approved For Children Above 12 Years?
- Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine Expanded To US Children As Young As 12
- West Bengal: All 77 BJP MLAs To Have Central Security Cover
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- England Cricketers Unlikely To Feature In Rescheduled IPL 2021
- Checkmate COVID: Vishy, Four Other GMs To Raise Fund