Agatha Sangma, who had campaigned for her father P A Sangma in the Presidential polls, today offered to quit as Minister of State for Rural Development.
NCP sources said that Agatha met party chief Sharad Pawar ahead of a meeting of the party leaders and expressed her readiness to quit the Government.
The talk in party circles was that Agatha could be facing trouble with the NCP leadership receiving complaints against her from party units in Chhattisgarh and Odisha that she campaigned for her father.
While NCP backed UPA nominee Pranab Mukhrjee, Sangma was the BJP-backed opposition candidate for the top post.
Reports had it that the Agatha issue was likely to come up before the NCP meeting.
Agatha is a member of the Lok Sabha from Tura, a seat represented by her father several times.
Sangma, a founder member of the NCP, resigned from the party to contest the Presidential elections. Immediately after he declared his intent to contest the election, Pawar had made it clear that there was no question of his party going against the decision of the United Progressive Alliance.
Agatha is said to have accompanied her father to Odisha to seek support for him from chief minister Naveen
Patnaik. She had also attended a function of tribal leaders in Bastar region of
A party leader, however, sought to give a different twist to Agatha's offer. He said that Agatha told Pawar that she would follow the party line after he and Praful Patel decided to pull out of the government and support it from outside in protest against the way the party was treated by Congress.
NCP sources said that Pawar will not be attending the dinner being hosted by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh tonight in honour of outgoing President Pratibha
Agatha Sangma Meets Pawar, Offers to Quit Govt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- Wishes Pour In From PM Modi, President Kovind
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History