Afghan President Hamid Karzai today said he may call an early presidential election to prepare the ground for handling pullout of foreign combat troops from the war-torn country next year.
Karzai's current term runs till 2014, which coincides with the planned security transition from the US-led forces to Afghan army. The nation's Constitution bars Karzai from running for a third term.
"I have been talking about this (early polls) for a few months now," Karzai told reporters. "With all the changes that are taking place with complete return of international forces and holding off presidential elections at the same time.....Whether that will be an agenda we can handle."
He said that he was considering either to advance the transition or the return of international forces to 2013. "This is something I have been thinking about, and I have had some consultations."
According to the Afghan Constitution, Karzai's term should expire in May 2014 and elections must be held within the next 60 days.
Karzai made the comment at a joint news conference with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who is in the Afghan capital for talks on the transition of security responsibilities.
The Afghan President said that he would take a final decision on the issue soon, "I will do what's good for this country in either case."
The NATO Chief, on his part, said the organisation would remain committed to Afghanistan even after its troops pull out of it 2014. "Our commitment and partnership with Afghanistan post-2014 remains unchanged.....Our goal is an Afghanistan with its security provided by its own people and this goal has not changed," he said.
Afghanistan: Karzai May Call Early Elections
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Covid Second Wave: PM Modi's Larger-Than-Life Image Takes A Big Hit
- The Covid Chargesheet: From First Lockdown To Present Catastrophe
- Covid: 13 Foreign Countries’ Emergency Medical Help Land In Shimla
- A Pin-Prick Of Hope: 40 Transgenders Given Covid-19 Jab In Guwahati
- Central Encroachment Into West Bengal Even After Elections
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Daughter’s Diary: Corona Has Come Home, But Home Is Far Away
- UK Study: Mixing Vaccines Can Be Safe
- Oxygen Crisis: 75 Deaths At Goa's Biggest Covid Hospital
- PM Modi Releases Rs 19,000 Cr To Farmers; Steps to Check Balance
- Bikers On A Mission Bridging Plasma Donors With Covid Patients
- Suspicion Of Poisoning Rife After 18 Elephants Die In Assam’s Nagaon
- Hardik Doesn't Fit In ODIs, T20s: Sarandeep
- Race Walker KT Irfan Turn Negative