Before his official launch as youth wing leader of Shiv Sena, Aditya Thackeray's move opposing Rohinton Mistry's book Such A Long Journey was frowned upon by his own college principal.
In a notice posted on the St. Xavier College's website by Principal Dr Frazer Mascarenhas S J, said, "It (the book) does reflect critically on political parties of all hues and in particular, deplores the threats of violence unleashed in the 1970s by a particular political party in Maharashtra."
It is inconceivable that in the 21st century, a political party will not show the maturity to accept criticism and answer it by the evidence of its own actions. Is it not unreasonable, that literature is banned, merely because it dares to critique us? St. Xavier's College regrets that this book, written by an alumnus, and widely acclaimed in the literary world, has been treated in this manner," he said.
Mistry, whose book was shortlisted for the prestigious Booker prize, was considered as a proud alumni. Aditya, is a third year history student of the same college.
The Sena has planned to launch 'Yuva Sena' helmed by Aditya, grandson of Sena chief Bal Thackeray on an annual Dusshera rally scheduled to be held on October 17 at Shivaji Park ground in central Mumbai.
Bhartiya Vidyarthi Sena, a students wing of the Sena, burnt copies of the novel last month and petitioned Mumbai University's vice-chancellor Dr Rajan Welukar to drop it from the second-year BA syllabus for having anti-Sena remarks.
Bowing to the demand of the BVS, the University immediately withdrew the book from the syllabus and issued notices to all the colleges regarding the same.
Aditya Thackeray Criticised by Own College Principal
THE LATEST ISSUE
- No Relief For Chidambaram As SC Refuses Urgent Hearing, ED Issues Lookout Notice
- US President Donald Trump Offers To Mediate Kashmir Issue Again, Says It's 'Complicated Place'
- Chandrayaan-2 Spacecraft Successfully Enters 2nd Lunar Orbit: ISRO
- 'Disgraceful Misuse Of Power': Rahul Gandhi Flays BJP Govt Over Action Against Chidambaram
- India’s Largest Biscuit Manufacturer Parle Says It Could Slash 10,000 Jobs: Report
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- CBI Books NDTV Founders Prannoy Roy, Wife And Others In FDI Violation Case
- Three Killed As Flood Relief Helicopter Crashes In Rain-Hit Uttarkashi
- LeT Militant, Police Officer Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- Virat Kohli To Wear 18 As India Gets Shirts Numbered
- Chidambaram 'Hunted Down' For Speaking Truth Inconvenient To Cowards: Priyanka Gandhi
- Public Transport Resumes In Parts Of Kashmir, Students Still Stay Away From Schools
- Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Babulal Gaur Passes Away At 89
- Paytm Retains Indian Cricket's Sponsorship Rights, BCCI Gets Record Hike