Before his official launch as youth wing leader of Shiv Sena, Aditya Thackeray's move opposing Rohinton Mistry's book Such A Long Journey was frowned upon by his own college principal.
In a notice posted on the St. Xavier College's website by Principal Dr Frazer Mascarenhas S J, said, "It (the book) does reflect critically on political parties of all hues and in particular, deplores the threats of violence unleashed in the 1970s by a particular political party in Maharashtra."
It is inconceivable that in the 21st century, a political party will not show the maturity to accept criticism and answer it by the evidence of its own actions. Is it not unreasonable, that literature is banned, merely because it dares to critique us? St. Xavier's College regrets that this book, written by an alumnus, and widely acclaimed in the literary world, has been treated in this manner," he said.
Mistry, whose book was shortlisted for the prestigious Booker prize, was considered as a proud alumni. Aditya, is a third year history student of the same college.
The Sena has planned to launch 'Yuva Sena' helmed by Aditya, grandson of Sena chief Bal Thackeray on an annual Dusshera rally scheduled to be held on October 17 at Shivaji Park ground in central Mumbai.
Bhartiya Vidyarthi Sena, a students wing of the Sena, burnt copies of the novel last month and petitioned Mumbai University's vice-chancellor Dr Rajan Welukar to drop it from the second-year BA syllabus for having anti-Sena remarks.
Bowing to the demand of the BVS, the University immediately withdrew the book from the syllabus and issued notices to all the colleges regarding the same.
Aditya Thackeray Criticised by Own College Principal
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS In Tamil Nadu
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four; Victim's Family Demands Death Penalty
- Coal Scam: Court Convicts Former Union Minister Dilip Ray, Others
- MI Vs RR: Rajasthan Face Rampaging Mumbai
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- SSR Coverage Shows How Mindless TV Journalism Has Become: Barkha Dutt
- Mumbai Court Extends Rhea Chakraborty's Judicial Remand
- Advancing Security In Indo-Pacific A Priority: Jaishankar At Quad Meeting
- Haryana Dy CM Dushyant Chautala Tests Positive For Covid
- French Open: Line Judge Deja Vu For Djokovic In Khachanov Win
- The Dormant State Of Indian Health Care Centres
- Nowhere To Go: MCI Staff Told To Vacate Building
- CSK's Belief In Watson Surreal, But That's What Dhoni Is All About