On an official visit here, Japanese Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada today took a ride on the Delhi Metro and gave suggestions to improve the system besides paying a visit to the Metro Museum.
Delhi Metro, which is being partly funded by the Japan International Cooperation Agency, an arm of the Japanese Government, is one of the few metros in the world making an operational profit.
Accompanied by DMRC officials, Okada, who is here on a two-day visit, took the Metro from Central Secretariat to the next station of Patel Chowk on the underground line.
Deboarding at the Patel Chowk station, the Japanese Foreign Minister went round the station and visited the Metro Museum there.
"He went through the entire station and spent around 30 minutes there. He made a lot of queries on the functioning of the Metro system and also gave us some suggestions," DMRC spokesman Anuj Dayal, who also accompanied Okada, said.
Dayal said Okada visited the Metro Museum, the first in south Asia in an operational station, and was "impressed" with it.
The JICA (formerly known as JBIC - Japan Bank for International Cooperation) had sanctioned a loan of Rs 6434.06 crore for Delhi Metro's Phase-I project.
The total cost for Phase-II is approximately Rs 20,000 crore and JICA is financing 49.19 per cent of this project.
For DMRC's Phase-II, JICA has sanctioned a loan amount of Rs 9686.69 crore. Overall, JICA has collectively paid over 16,000 crore to DMRC for both Phase-I and Phase-II projects.
The JICA is partly financing Metro projects in other cities in the country, including Chennai.
A Metro Ride for Japanese Foreign Minister
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: Jadeja Gets Mandeep; Punjab 114/2 (14)
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Rape: 'Scenario Created To Blame Govt', Says Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Hathras Case: Editors Guild Condemns UP Govt For Obstructing Media
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- 25-Year-Old Gang-Raped, Thrashed In Gurugram, 4 Arrested
- CM Kejriwal Set To Launch Mega Anti-Air Pollution Campaign
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris