On an official visit here, Japanese Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada today took a ride on the Delhi Metro and gave suggestions to improve the system besides paying a visit to the Metro Museum.
Delhi Metro, which is being partly funded by the Japan International Cooperation Agency, an arm of the Japanese Government, is one of the few metros in the world making an operational profit.
Accompanied by DMRC officials, Okada, who is here on a two-day visit, took the Metro from Central Secretariat to the next station of Patel Chowk on the underground line.
Deboarding at the Patel Chowk station, the Japanese Foreign Minister went round the station and visited the Metro Museum there.
"He went through the entire station and spent around 30 minutes there. He made a lot of queries on the functioning of the Metro system and also gave us some suggestions," DMRC spokesman Anuj Dayal, who also accompanied Okada, said.
Dayal said Okada visited the Metro Museum, the first in south Asia in an operational station, and was "impressed" with it.
The JICA (formerly known as JBIC - Japan Bank for International Cooperation) had sanctioned a loan of Rs 6434.06 crore for Delhi Metro's Phase-I project.
The total cost for Phase-II is approximately Rs 20,000 crore and JICA is financing 49.19 per cent of this project.
For DMRC's Phase-II, JICA has sanctioned a loan amount of Rs 9686.69 crore. Overall, JICA has collectively paid over 16,000 crore to DMRC for both Phase-I and Phase-II projects.
The JICA is partly financing Metro projects in other cities in the country, including Chennai.
A Metro Ride for Japanese Foreign Minister
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Phased Rollback Of Lockdown Most Rational Approach: Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan
- A Twist In The Tail: Animal World May Not Be Immune To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Brouhaha Over Suspension of MP-LADs Fund Is All About Chronology
- Centre Considers Extending Lockdown As Coronavirus Cases Near 5,200
- A Wine-drinking Ex-Muslim's Defence Of The Tablighi Jamaat
- Coronavirus Politics: Brouhaha Over Centre Suspending MP-LADs Fund Is All About Chronology
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Back-to-Back Trading Holidays May Add To Market Volatility
- UK PM Boris Johnson Spends Second Night In ICU
- Golfer Arjun Bhati Sells Trophies To Contribute Towards COVID-19 Fight
- Ayushmann Khurrana Sings 'Happy Birthday' To Woman Admirer
- Over 29 Million Hydroxychloroquine Bought By US Come From India: Trump
- Muslim Men Shoulder Hindu Woman's Bier For Cremation Amid Lockdown
- Is It A Cold? Is It The Flu? Or Is It...
- Ronaldinho Released Into House Arrest At Hotel In Paraguay