Political legacies seemed to have counted for little in the assembly elections in five states as the electorate rejected the kith and kin of politicians.
Barring a few exceptions of a few candidates hailing from political families getting through, a large number of inheritors of the legacy was rejected at the hustings.
Relatives of many a political stalwart, especially from Congress, lost.
The results threw up some major upsets with losses of kith and kin of many sitting MPs and party leaders who had used all their influence to clinch a party ticket for their close relatives.
The most prominent loser was Louise Khurshid, wife of Union Minister for Law and Minorities Affairs Salman Khurshuid, from Farrukhabad in Uttar Pradesh, who finished fifth.
Louise was the second politician's spouse in Uttar Pradesh to lose the elections. Former badminton player Amita Singh, wife of Congress MP from Sultanpur Sanjay Singh, was beaten by a margin of over 7,000 votes from Amethi, the pocketborough of the Gandhi family.
Former Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh and Union Minister Preneet Kaur's son Raninder Singh lost Samana seat in Punjab.
Abhishek Pal, son of former UP chief minister and Congress MP Jagdambika Pal, lost Basti Sadar seat in UP while Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma's son Rakesh Verma lost the Dariyabad seat in UP where he was placed third.
Shekhar Bahuguna, UP state Congress vice-president and brother of UPCC chief Rita Bahugna Joshi, suffered a humiliating defeat in Phaphamau seat where he finished a poor seventh and forfeited his security deposit.
Rajveer Singh, son of Jan Kranti Party president and former UP Chief Minister Kalyan Singh, lost his Dibai seat by a margin of 3,597 votes.
In Goa too, dynasty politics was rejected by the electorate. The Congress-NCP combine had given 12 tickets to five political families, all of whom were defeated at the hustings.
Congress leader Churchill Alemao, who was also Chief Minister for a brief period, bagged four party tickets -- for himself, his brother Joaquim, daughter Valanka and nephew Yuri, but they all lost.
Valanka lost in Benaulim to Goa Vikas Party candidate, while Yuri lost his seat to the BJP nominee. Home minister Ravi Naik and his son Riteish also lost to MGP.
In Manipur, Chief Minister's wife O Landhoni Devi won from the Khangabok seat and so did CM O Ibobi Singh from Thoubal.
In Punjab, Vikram Singh Bajwa, son-in-law of Congress Legislature Party leader in the outgoing assembly Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, lost to former Akali MP Sharanjit Singh Dhillon from Sahnewal seat by a margin of 21,216 votes.
Suman Kaypee, wife of Jalandhar Congress MP Mohinder Singh Kaypee, lost by 11,343 votes from Jalandhar West seat, while Ram Lubhaya, husband of Hoshiarpur Congress MP Santosh Chaudhary lost from Sham Chaurasi (SC) seat by a margin of 5,306 votes.
Dilraj Singh, son of Rajya Sabha MP and Akali leader Balwinder Singh Bhunder, also lost by a margin of 2,732 votes from Sardulgarh. Bhunder had lost from this seat in the last assembly polls also.
Close relatives of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal have all won - including his son Sukhbir Badal from Jalalabad and son-in-law Adesh Pratap Singh Kairon from Patti, besides the brother-in-law of Sukhbir Badal Bikram Singh Majithia from the Majithia seat.
Even as Akalis created history by returning to power, Kuldeep Kaur Tohra failed to carry on the political legacy of Akali stalwart Jathedar Gurcharan Singh Tohra, who had remained the president of SGPC for 27 years, as she lost the Patiala Rural seat.
Harbans Kaur Dullo, wife of former Punjab Congress chief Shamsher Singh Dullo also lost the Bassi Pathanan (SC) seat to Justice Nirmal Singh (retd), husband of Akali MP from Faridkot Paramjit Kaur Gulshan.
Ripjit Singh Brar, brother of former Congress MP and CWC member Jagmeet Singh Brar, lost from Kotkapura seat by 18,186 votes, while Madan Lal Jalalpur, the nephew of Congress minister Lal Singh, also failed to win from Ghanaur seat, having lost it to Harpreet Kaur, wife of former Akali minister Ajaib Singh Mukhmailpur by 1,778 votes.
Gurpreet Kaur, the daughter-in-law of Congress leader Sher Singh Gagowal also lost the Mansa seat.
Aman Arora also failed to save the legacy of his late father and Congress minister Bhagwan Dass Arora and he lost Sunam seat by a margin of 4,654 votes from Parminder Singh Dhindsa, son of Akali Rajya Sabha MP Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa.
Akali candidate Tejinderpal Singh Sandhi failed to carry forward the legacy of his late father and former Akali minister Jasdev Singh Sandhu, who had never lost an election, and lost the Sanour seat.
Navjot Kaur, the wife of Amritsar MP Navjot Singh Sidhu, won from Amritsar East seat by a margin of 7099 votes on a BJP ticket while Charanjit Kaur Bajwa, wife of Congress MP from Gurdaspur Pratap Singh Bajwa, won from Qadian seat.
Gurkirat Singh, brother of Congress MP from Anandpur Sahib Ravneet Singh Bittu, who is also the grandson of former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh, won from Khanna seat by 7,278 votes and Karan Brar, daughter-in-law of former chief minister Harcharan Singh Brar, retained Muktsar seat held by her husband Sunny Brar won died two days ago in Delhi.
Congress, who had given party tickets to a number of relatives of party leaders had defended the decision saying the candidate's ability to win was more important.
Voters Reject Kith and Kin of Political Stalwarts
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CBI Special Director Rakesh Asthana Cannot Be Arrested Till Monday: Delhi HC
- CBI Gets 7-Day Custody Of Deputy SP Devender Kumar In Bribery Case
- Will You Carry Napkin With Menstrual Blood To Friend's Home? Smriti Irani On Sabarimala
- 'Modi Vs Rahul' Is BJP's Strategy For 2019 LS Polls, But It Won't Work: Sharad Pawar
- Interview | A Huge Change In Favour Of Congress In All Five States: Scindia
- BJP's 'Win' In Kashmir Valley Will Be Remembered For Wrong Reasons
- Rail Apps: When A Train Ticket Examiner Left Passengers Speechless
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- China Continues To Block India's Request To List Masood Azhar As Global Terrorist
- RSS Used ‘Planned’ Protests To Destroy Peace At Sabarimala: Kerala CM
- BJP Minister Subhash Deshmukh Accused of 'Duping' Govt Of Rs 24 Crore
- India Vs West Indies, 2nd ODI: India Announce 12-Man Squad For Vizag Match
- Khashoggi's Body Parts Found In Saudi Consul General's Home In Istanbul: Report
- TN Minister Allegedly Forces Woman For Abortion, Audio Clip Goes Viral
- No Complete Ban On Sale And Use Of Firecrackers, Says Supreme Court
- Heads Of Groom, Relatives Tonsured For Calling Off Wedding Over Dowry