Swapan Guha, who was chosen for this year's Padma Shri award, is associated with bone china tableware sector for three decades and set up industrial units in three villages of Rajasthan providing employment to about 1200 local people.
This is the first time that someone from India's ceramic industry has won a Padma award.
A fellow of the Indian Institute of Ceramics, 55-year-old Guha, a graduate from Kolkata, started his career with Kerala Ceramics Ltd, a Kerala government undertaking, as a Research and Development Officer and then joined Bharat Potteries Ltd in Jaipur as Technical Advisor in 1988. This was the beginning of formation of bone china tableware manufacturing hub in Jaipur.
Later, he went on to become the CEO and Director (Works) at NCL Industries Ltd. Of Nagarjuna Group in Hyderabad as General Manager (Works) in their bone china and stoneware unit.
In 1995, Guha started a bone-china tableware unit named Jaipur Ceramics Pvt. Ltd at Rajawas village near Jaipur. JCPL is exporting its 60 per cent of its products to Australia, South Korea and European countries.
Employing over 700 labourers besides supervisors and senior staff, JCPL has uplifted a mass of villagers by providing them employment.
Guha has also undertaken several projects for providing jobs and educational opportunities for villagers of Rajawas, Jetpura and Govindgarh.
In 2002, Guha, started another project Hopewell Ceramics Pvt. Ltd., as the chairman of the company, for manufacturing of ceramic colours, glazes, etc in RIICO industrial area at village Jetpura and Kalpataru Ceraware Pvt. Ltd for manufacturing of high tension electrical insulators. These two units together provide employment to more than 500 local village people.
He is also the chairman of the Apex Committee for Technology vision 2020 Mission Project relating to rural technology.
Swapan Guha Fetches Indian Ceramics First Padma Shri
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Nihilipilified On The Hill: Sabarimala, Congress And The Pilgrim’s Regress
- Sabarimala Row: Shutdown In Kerala After Late Night Arrest Of Hindu Woman Leader
- Ad Guru And Theatre Personality Alyque Padamsee Dies At 90
- Facebook Investors Want Mark Zuckerberg To Resign
- Should He Or Shouldn't He? Raging Debate On Dhoni's Inclusion In 2019 World Cup
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- The Relevance of Shah Rukh Khan Long After We’ve Stopped Running Through Mustard Fields
- Amazon Will Go Bankrupt One Day, We Need To Delay That Day: CEO To Employees
- PM Modi Is A Chowkidar Of Anil Ambani: Rahul Gandhi In Madhya Pradesh
- Let Non-Gandhi Become Congress President For Five Years: PM Modi
- J&K Panchayat Elections: 9% Voter Turnout Recorded For First Phase Till 10 AM
- 22 Married Women Receive Widows' Pension In UP While Husbands Are Alive
- PM Modi, Shivraj Singh Chouhan Are Like Double Engines Of A Train: Amit Shah
- Will Visit Sabarimala Next Unannounced, Using Guerilla Tactics: Trupti Desai
- After Naidu, Mamata Bans CBI Probe In West Bengal Without Consent