Former Maharashtra Assembly Speaker and senior NCP leader Babasaheb Kupekar passed away here today following a prolonged illness, family sources said.
Kupekar, 70, had been suffering from cancer and he breathed at his last at the Jaslok hospital this morning, where he was admitted in the ICU more than a month ago, sources said.
He is survived by wife and three daughters.
Kupekar, who represented the Gadhinglaj constituency in Kolhapur district, was also a former chairman of the State Planning Board.
The mortal remains will be taken to his hometown later in the day and the funeral will take place tomorrow morning.
Kupekar's real name was Krishnarao Rakhmajirao Desai.
In the Congress-NCP coalition government, he served as minister of state for cooperation, environment, labour and industries from 1999-2004. Later, he was elevated as the Legislative Assembly Speaker.
In his hometown, he headed several educational institutions.
Kupekar began his political career as a sarpanch of Kanadewadi in the Gadhinglaj taluka. He was also the director of Kolhapur District Cooperative Bank.
Before 1999, he was the general secretary of the Maharashtra Congress and after NCP came in existence, he was appointed president of the Kolhapur district NCP unit.
Senior NCP Leader Babasaheb Kupekar Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Cyclone Gaja: Storm To Make Landfall In Tamil Nadu Today; State On High Alert, Schools Shut
- No Sovereign Guarantee Given By France On Rafale Deal: Government Tells SC
- Delhi: Fashion Designer, Domestic Help killed In Vasant Kunj Double Murder
- Organisers Cancel TM Krishna's Concert After Trolls Call Him Anti-India, Urban Naxal
- Hima Das Appointed First Youth Ambassador Of UNICEF India
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- The Relevance of Shah Rukh Khan Long After We’ve Stopped Running Through Mustard Fields
- Is India Different From Pakistan?
- Karnataka By-Poll Vignettes: U-Turn In Sholay Land
- Modi Is Non-Resident Prime Minister, Says DMK Chief M K Stalin
- All Global Terror Attacks Lead To Single Source: PM Modi
- India, China Hold Dialogue, Agree To Step Up Military Exchanges
- Rajasthan Assembly Elections: 119 Candidates File Nominations
- Nehru Made It Possible For A 'Chaiwala' To Become Prime Minister: Shashi Tharoor
- Blog | From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- Congress Will Install People's Government In Chhattisgarh: Rahul Gandhi
- Trump Nominates Indian-American Neomi Rao To Federal Appeals Court