NCP MLA Dilip Wagh, facing charges of raping a 20-year-old girl, was remanded in police custody till March 3 along with his personal assistant and co-accused Mahesh Mali who was arrested today.
Amid tight security, Wagh and Mali alias Bunty, who was picked up by Sarkarwada police here, were produced before Judge A S Nalge who sent them to police custody.
Wagh, who representing Pachora in neighbouring Jalgaon district and was arrested yesterday from Mumbai, was earlier brought here by local police at 2 am and taken to Nashik civil hospital as he complained of ill-health, police said.
The girl from Pathardi, Ahmednagar district, who had alleged that Wagh and Mali called her to Nashik promising to give her a job and had raped her on February 21 at a government guest house here, was today taken to Aurangabad by the Nashik police for investigation into the charges.
She had lodged the FIR on February 25 in which she claimed that she had first met Wagh in Aurangabad, where the MLA promised to arrange a job for her.
The victim, who was accompanied by Assistant Police Inspector Swapnali Shinde and Inspector Manohar Dabhade, was taken to several places, police said.
The police team visited her residence as well as the educational institute, where the victim worked as a security guard.
The police also quizzed her neighbours in Aurangabad. Later, the police team returned to Nashik along with the victim.
The girl has undergone a medical test which confirmed "sexual intercourse" with her, police had said.
Terming Wagh's arrest as a conspiracy by the legislator's detracttors, his brother Sanjay Wagh alleged that the girl had been "influenced".
"This is a conspiracy.... The report was filed on February 25, four days after the alleged incident. The victim has been influenced," Sanjay said.
The NCP had yesterday suspended Wagh from the party.
Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil, who is also from NCP, said the lawmaker will be treated as per the law.
"The law is the same for everyone. We have asked police to look into this closely," he said.
Rape Case: After NCP MLA Dilip Wagh, His PA Arrested
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Congress, BJP Walk Out Of All-Party Meet On Sabarimala
- After Protests, EC Removes Mizoram's Chief Electoral Officer
- In Flexing For More Autonomy, RBI Runs Into Govt’s Plans
- India’s 'First Ever' Tiger Translocation Project Stalled After Royal Bengal Tiger Found Dead In Odisha
- Blog | From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- The Relevance of Shah Rukh Khan Long After We’ve Stopped Running Through Mustard Fields
- Is India Different From Pakistan?
- Here's How Smriti Irani Describes 'Long' Wait For DeepVeer Wedding Pictures
- Congress Lost Its Credibility, Says Rajnath Singh In Poll-Bound Chhattisgarh
- India, China Hold Dialogue, Agree To Step Up Military Exchanges
- Maneka Gandhi Orders Probe After #MeToo Cases Surface In All India Radio
- After UK Brexit Minister Resignation, Pound Plunges Up To 1% Against Dollar, Euro
- Don't Think Current Indian Side Is Better Than Ones I Played Against: Steve Waugh
- Signature Bridge Scuffle: Arvind Kejriwal Named As Accused In FIR Filed By Manoj Tiwari
- Delhi: Fashion Designer, Domestic Help killed In Vasant Kunj Double Murder