The name of Orissa was officially changed to Odisha and its language from Oriya to Odia following presidential assent today to the bill passed by Parliament and issuance of a notification.
In the first official letter using Odisha in the letterhead, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik thanked President Pratibha Patil for her "historic decision".
"I convey to you the deep sense of gratitude of our people for the state to be known now as Odisha," Patnaik wrote.
There were celebrations with fire crackers burst tonight following the notification.
At the secretariat the chief minister, ministers and officials watched a sparkling display of fireworks.
The chief minister declared a holiday tomorrow. All government offices, schools and colleges will remain closed.
Sweets were distributed among those present at the celebrations, organised at short notice following instruction from Patnaik.
Earlier an unanimous resolution was passed in the state assembly for change in the name of the state from Orissa to Odisha in 2008 which received the nod of both the houses of the Parliament in 2010.
The President's assent and notification was issued today.
The state which was formed on linguistic basis on April 1, 1936, was known as Orissa and its language was Oriya since then.
Orissa Becomes Odisha, Oriya Becomes Odia
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Six Civilians Killed In Explosion At Encounter Site; Mayhem In Kashmir
- Kohli, Rohit Centuries Floor Windies, India Win 1st ODI By 8 Wickets
- Sabarimala Day 5: Four Women Stopped From Proceeding To The Shrine
- Amritsar Train Accident: Protesters Clash With Police After Being Chased Away From Tracks
- CBI Books Its Own Special Director Rakesh Asthana For Accepting Bribe
- BJP's 'Win' In Kashmir Valley Will Be Remembered For Wrong Reasons
- Rail Apps: When A Train Ticket Examiner Left Passengers Speechless
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- Activist Rehana Expelled From Muslim Community After Attempt To Enter Sabarimala
- BJP To Cast Magic Spell On Voters For Upcoming Assembly Polls In MP
- Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh's Wedding To Take Place In November
- Petrol, Diesel Prices Cut For Fourth Consecutive Day
- Madhya Pradesh: Over 400 Theatres Shut To Protest Against Entertainment Tax
- All Petrol, CNG Pumps In Delhi To Remain Shut On Monday In Protest Against VAT
- 6 Tested Positive, Zika Cases Reach 123 In Rajasthan
- Aur Ye Laga Sixer: Rohit Sharma's Classic Nataraja Shot – WATCH