Former MP Rajni Patil is the Congress candidate for a Rajya Sabha by-poll in Maharashtra, the party said today.
The by-election has been caused following the death of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshumkh on August 14 last year. His term in Rajya Sabha was to expire on April 2, 2018.
As per the schedule announced by the Election Commission, the polling if any, will be held on January 12. The last date for withdrawal of nominations is January 5.
Patil hails from Marathwada region to which Deshmukh belonged.
Rajni Patil said after being elected, she would strive to work for women's issues in the Upper House.
Describing her nomination as a "new year gift" for women from the party leadership, Patil said she would work to create public awareness about problems faced by women.
"It (the nomination for Rajya Sabha bypoll) is a big responsibility that the party has bestowed on me. I would like to thank Soniaji for the same," Patil told.
Maharashtra: Rajni Patil is Cong's Pick for RS By-Poll
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CBI Infighting Intensifies, DSP Arrested In Corruption Case Involving Rakesh Asthana
- Congress Has Not Projected Rahul Gandhi As PM Candidate: Chidambaram
- Kerala Nun Rape Case: Priest Who Gave Statement Against Franco Mulakkal Found Dead
- Paytm Founder's Secy, Two Other Employees Held For Blackmailing Him With Stolen Data
- Forces Did Not Follow Standard Practice: Kashmiri Villagers On Blast At Encounter Site
- BJP's 'Win' In Kashmir Valley Will Be Remembered For Wrong Reasons
- Rail Apps: When A Train Ticket Examiner Left Passengers Speechless
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- CBI Defends Its Director, Terms Allegations Against Him As 'False And Malicious'
- Sack Navjot Singh Sidhu, Register Murder Case Against His Wife: Akali Dal
- Assam: Retired Teacher Allegedly Commits Suicide Over Exclusion Of Name From NRC
- Dalit Woman Makes Failed Bid To Reach Sabarimala Shrine
- CBI Is A Weapon Of Political Vendetta Under Modi's Regime: Rahul Gandhi
- At Sabarimala, IG Sreejith Cries In Front Of Lord Ayyappa
- After Getting Trolled, Maharashtra CM's Wife Apologises For Selfie On Ship
- Woman Raped, Rod Inserted In Her Private Parts In West Bengal