A BJP MLA in Rajasthan has demanded a ban on skirts as uniform in schools to keep girls away from "men's lustful gazes".
Alwar (Urban) legislator Banwari Lal Singhal has written a letter to the state chief secretary C K Mathew, demanding that skirts should be replaced by trousers or Salwar-kameez.
"The intention of this demand is to keep girl students away from men's lustful gazes and for their comfort in hot and cold weather conditions," Singhal told PTI.
"It is not a Talibani type of thinking or restriction on girls' freedom or right but a concern for their safety," he said.
"I have myself caught several boys taking pictures of school girls by their cell-phones and girls were not aware of it. Such pictures could be misused."
"Everyone will have to make sure on one's personal capacity that the dignity of women is protected and this is my effort in my capacity," he said.
Stating that crime cases, particularly sexual harassment, is increasing in Alwar, he said, "The government should take steps to check crime but it is the duty of everyone to make an environment to ensure that crime is not flourished."
Ban Skirts to Save Girls From Lustful Gazes: BJP MLA
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Six Civilians Killed In Explosion At Encounter Site; Mayhem In Kashmir
- Kohli, Rohit Centuries Floor Windies, India Win 1st ODI By 8 Wickets
- Sabarimala Day 5: Four Women Stopped From Proceeding To The Shrine
- Amritsar Train Accident: Protesters Clash With Police After Being Chased Away From Tracks
- CBI Books Its Own Special Director Rakesh Asthana For Accepting Bribe
- BJP's 'Win' In Kashmir Valley Will Be Remembered For Wrong Reasons
- Rail Apps: When A Train Ticket Examiner Left Passengers Speechless
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- Activist Rehana Expelled From Muslim Community After Attempt To Enter Sabarimala
- BJP To Cast Magic Spell On Voters For Upcoming Assembly Polls In MP
- Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh's Wedding To Take Place In November
- Petrol, Diesel Prices Cut For Fourth Consecutive Day
- Madhya Pradesh: Over 400 Theatres Shut To Protest Against Entertainment Tax
- All Petrol, CNG Pumps In Delhi To Remain Shut On Monday In Protest Against VAT
- 6 Tested Positive, Zika Cases Reach 123 In Rajasthan
- Aur Ye Laga Sixer: Rohit Sharma's Classic Nataraja Shot – WATCH