The standoff in BJP over the appointment of businessman to a crucial party post persisted today with general secretary Arun Jaitley and president Rajnath Singh firmly sticking to their positions.
Jaitley, who had yesterday kept away from a meeting of the Central
Election Committee to register his protest over the appointment of
"tentwallah" Sudhanshu Mittal, a protege of late Pramod Mahajan, today
shared the dais with Singh at the party headquarters where senior
leader L K Advani was also present.
Jaitley arrived late for the function but was also the first to leave
the venue at the end of it before reporters could shoot questions. He
and Singh did not acknowledge each other's presence throughout the
function to release the IT Vision document.
Sources close to the eminent lawyer said he would not attend the
meetings of the CEC till the appointment of Mittal is revoked. He is
said to be of the view that Mittal, who runs a tent and catering
business, is responsible for fostering 'five star' culture in the party.
However, party sources said Singh was in no mood to relent on the issue
of Mittal's appointment as co-convener of the party in the Northeast.
Mittal is said to have been instrumental in bringing around the Asom
Gana Parishad (AGP) for a seat-sharing arrangement in Assam.
Mittal, who had responded to attacks from Jaitley's camp that he had a
reputation of a wheeler-dealer, had hit back, saying if "failed
lawyers" could be part of politics why businessmen like him could not
be in it.
Today, he said he did not think that Jaitley was opposing his
appointment. "I think it is an imaginary controversy. I have gone
through everything and I don't think anybody has ever said anything. It
is just being assumed that there are factors which are not true,"
He said he has been in politics for the last 30 years and he had been
doing micro management in the party in relation to many states at the
In Bangalore, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu confirmed that Jaitley
"had raised an issue" but sought to downplay it, saying it was being
BJP: Arun Jaitley V/s Rajnath Singh
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Army Chief Manoj Naravane's Nepal Visit To Act As Ice-Breaker In Strained Ties
- Senior Odisha TV Journalist Whisked Away By Police
- India Wishes Her Beloved President Kalam On His 89th Birth Anniversary
- Eyes On Kashmir As Gupkar Declaration Signatories Meet
- The Lonely Trek To Kashmir's Peaks
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Preparations In France Underway For Induction Of More Rafale Jets
- Turkey’s ‘Neo-Ottoman’ Vision For West Asia, Mediterranean
- 31 Dead In Rain-Related Incidents In Telangana, AP, Maharashtra
- Kashmiri Woman Alleges Landlady Called Her 'Terrorist'
- Teen Boy Appears In Jamia's Entrance Exam Instead Of Original Candidate..
- No Message To Pak Expressing Desire For Talk: MEA
- Nortje Bowls Fastest Delivery In IPL
- Mary Kom Has Special Tips For Would-Be Parents Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma