An eight-year-old girl was sexually assaulted in a toilet at a notorious Philippine prison, officials said today, fuelling a national uproar over revelations that its inmates were "living like kings" with stripper bars and jacuzzis.
Anger Fuels in Philippines Over Minor Girl's Sexual Assault
The girl, who was visiting her inmate father at Bilibid prison in suburban Manila on New Year's Day, was found sprawled on the bathroom floor, naked from the waist down and with a rope tied around her neck, officials said. Initial medical tests did not indicate that she had been raped.
"The incident involving the eight-year-old is nothing short of deplorable," presidential spokeswoman Abigail Valte told AFP.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said an inmate had confessed to attacking the girl and would face additional criminal charges.
"He rendered her unconscious, strangled with the intention of raping her," de Lima told local broadcaster ABS-CBN.
The assault came three weeks after a police raid of the prison found stashes of drugs, cash and guns -- as well as sex dolls, a stripper bar and a jacuzzi -- spread across an astonishing network of air-conditioned "villas" built for powerful crime lords.
One inmate, bank robbery gang leader Herbert Colanggo, had a recording studio in his villa, where he made a full album of love ballads.
Colanggo's YouTube posts also revealed that he staged elaborate shows inside the prison gymnasium where he was cheered by crowds waving pink pom-poms.
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Cong Should Have Consulted Its FMs Before...': Sitharaman Reacts To 'Stealing' RBI Money Remark
- 'Produce Shred Of Evidence': Chidambaram's Family Challenges Govt
- UP Girl Student, Who Accused Ex-BJP MP Swami Chinmayanand Of Harassment, Goes Missing
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan Considering Complete Closure Of Airspace To India, Says His Minister
- High Schools In Kashmir To Reopen From Wednesday In Areas Without Restrictions
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Congress Demands White Paper On State Of Economy, Accuses Govt Of 'Snatching' RBI's Money
- 'Don't Demonise Modi' Not My Phrase...: Shashi Tharoor Hits Back At Critics
- Kargil War Hero Impersonates Senior To Fly Amit Shah's Aircraft, Probe Ordered
- Feroze Shah Kotla Stadium To Be Renamed After Late Finance Minister Arun Jaitley
- Sindhu's World Gold Vs Saina's Olympic Bronze: Gopichand Has His Say
- In First Such Incident After Article 370 Abrogation, Militants Kill Gujjar Man, Abduct Another in Kashmir
- US Open: Sumit Nagal Goes Down Fighting Against Roger Federer
- Sourav Ganguly Gives His Opinion On MS Dhoni's Imminent Retirement