Indian Coast Guard has apprehended nine Sri Lankan fishermen and their two fishing boats, which posed 'high security risk for the coast', off Nizampattinam in Andhra Pradesh.
The fishermen, spotted by Coast Guard Ship ICGS Sarang during a routine surveillance, were arrested on November 19 for allegedly violating certain sections of the Maritime Zones of India Act of 1981, a Cost Guard release said here today.
Fish catch of 3,500 kg was also confiscated, it said.
The nine Sinhalese fishermen onboard the boats -- Gulf Star Marina and Champa 6 -- were found 116 nautical miles off Nizampattinam and were apprehended for violating sections 3/10, 7/14 and 15 (A & C) of the Maritime Zones of India Act.
The boats, from Trincomalee of Sri Lanka, equipped with GPS, radar and long-range high frequency communication equipment "posed high security risk for the coast," it said.
Since January this year, the Coast Guard Eastern region has apprehended 31 boats, 153 Sri Lankan fishermen and confiscated 29,550 kg of fish catch, it added.
9 Lankan Fishermen Held by Coast Guard in Andhra
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Man Carries Mother On Shoulder To Cremation Site As Kin, Villagers Turn Spectators
- Covid Second Wave: PM Modi's Larger-Than-Life Image Takes A Big Hit
- Nothing To Hide: Youth Cong Chief To Delhi Cops’ Poser On Procuring Oxygen
- Situation ‘Extremely Fragile’ As Rajasthan CM Sounds Alarm Over Inadequate Oxygen Supply
- A Pin-Prick Of Hope: 40 Transgenders Given Covid-19 Jab In Guwahati
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Daughter’s Diary: Corona Has Come Home, But Home Is Far Away
- UK Study: Mixing Vaccines Can Be Safe
- Covid: 13 Foreign Countries’ Emergency Medical Help Land In Shimla
- Kashmir Doctors' Panel Pushes For 'Plan' To Safeguard Staff
- Bikers On A Mission Bridging Plasma Donors With Covid Patients
- Suspicion Of Poisoning Rife After 18 Elephants Die In Assam’s Nagaon
- Mithali, Harman To Lead Teams
- I-League: AIFF To Do Away With Relegation Due To COVID-19