Andhra Pradesh Governor ND Tiwari landed in a fresh controversy today after a local TV channel telecast explicit clippings purportedly of the veteran Congress leader with three women.
The development amid the crisis in the state over the Telangana statehood issue triggered demands that the 86-year-old Governor resign or be dismissed and also protests by women activists outside the Raj Bhavan where security was beefed up after the private Telugu channel aired the footage.
The leader of opposition in Andhra Pradesh assembly and Telugu Desam
Party president N Chandrababu Naidu demanded the immediate sacking of
Tiwari, a veteran Congress leader.
"Everybody is feeling ashamed after seeing this on television. This is
a big sex scandal and it shows the falling values and ethics in public
life," Naidu, said.
"Offices like Raj Bhavan are the temples of democracy and it is very
unfortunate that such things are happening there," he added.
"The only way for him (Tiwari) is to resign or the Centre should sack him," Naidu said.
"Never in the past have we witnessed such incidents," he said. Naidu also demanded a CBI inquiry.
Earlier, in a quick damage control measure, the Raj Bhavan approached the AP High Court, filed a PIL against the channel -- "ABN Andhra Jyothy" -- and got an order to restrain it from further airing the footage which was allegedly shot inside Raj Bhavan during the night.
The Channel stopped telecasting the footage after the court ordered it to stop airing it. The footage was shown for an hour from 10 AM today.
Raj Bhavan has denied the footage and issued a statement.
"The Governor is 86 years old and in the evening of his life. It is sad and unfortunate that constitutional functionaries are dragged in to needless controversies," the statement said.
The Counsel for the Raj Bhavan Ravishanker Jandhyala said, "there is absolutely no truth in the alleged news story which is nothing but sensation mongering."
"The alleged news story is nothing but a 'tissue of lies' and is denied," he said, adding there is no question of his resignation. "We will definitely file a defamation case. Already I have issued a notice in the afternoon(to the channel)," he added.
Ravindra Reddy, ACP Banjara Hills and other police officials went to the channel's office and handed over the High Court orders.
Women activists protested before the Raj Bhavan condemning the alleged portrayal of the Governor in the footage shown.
Punjagutta police said as many 30 women activists were taken in to preventive custody as they were trying to hold a demonstration in front of the Raj Bhavan.
The Telugu newspaper "Andhra Jyothy" in today’s edition had carried an advertisement requesting the public to watch the channel for exclusive visuals, allegedly portraying the former Union Minister and Uttrakhand chief minister in a compromising position.
Tiwari recently got relief from the Delhi High Court in a paternity case filed by Rohit Sekhar, who claimed to be his son. The court dismissed Rohit's petition on the grounds of time limitation.
Congress, meanwhile, said the "veracity of the material should be independently verified".
"Since the matter is sub judice, it would be inappropriate to comment. The veracity of the material should be independently verified," Congress spokesman Manish Tewari said.
Tewari said the material could even be morphed.
86-Year Old ND Tiwari in a 'Sex Scandal'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- The Shadow Of Satellite On Negroponte Switch
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly