Andhra Pradesh Governor ND Tiwari landed in a fresh controversy today after a local TV channel telecast explicit clippings purportedly of the veteran Congress leader with three women.
The development amid the crisis in the state over the Telangana statehood issue triggered demands that the 86-year-old Governor resign or be dismissed and also protests by women activists outside the Raj Bhavan where security was beefed up after the private Telugu channel aired the footage.
The leader of opposition in Andhra Pradesh assembly and Telugu Desam
Party president N Chandrababu Naidu demanded the immediate sacking of
Tiwari, a veteran Congress leader.
"Everybody is feeling ashamed after seeing this on television. This is
a big sex scandal and it shows the falling values and ethics in public
life," Naidu, said.
"Offices like Raj Bhavan are the temples of democracy and it is very
unfortunate that such things are happening there," he added.
"The only way for him (Tiwari) is to resign or the Centre should sack him," Naidu said.
"Never in the past have we witnessed such incidents," he said. Naidu also demanded a CBI inquiry.
Earlier, in a quick damage control measure, the Raj Bhavan approached the AP High Court, filed a PIL against the channel -- "ABN Andhra Jyothy" -- and got an order to restrain it from further airing the footage which was allegedly shot inside Raj Bhavan during the night.
The Channel stopped telecasting the footage after the court ordered it to stop airing it. The footage was shown for an hour from 10 AM today.
Raj Bhavan has denied the footage and issued a statement.
"The Governor is 86 years old and in the evening of his life. It is sad and unfortunate that constitutional functionaries are dragged in to needless controversies," the statement said.
The Counsel for the Raj Bhavan Ravishanker Jandhyala said, "there is absolutely no truth in the alleged news story which is nothing but sensation mongering."
"The alleged news story is nothing but a 'tissue of lies' and is denied," he said, adding there is no question of his resignation. "We will definitely file a defamation case. Already I have issued a notice in the afternoon(to the channel)," he added.
Ravindra Reddy, ACP Banjara Hills and other police officials went to the channel's office and handed over the High Court orders.
Women activists protested before the Raj Bhavan condemning the alleged portrayal of the Governor in the footage shown.
Punjagutta police said as many 30 women activists were taken in to preventive custody as they were trying to hold a demonstration in front of the Raj Bhavan.
The Telugu newspaper "Andhra Jyothy" in today’s edition had carried an advertisement requesting the public to watch the channel for exclusive visuals, allegedly portraying the former Union Minister and Uttrakhand chief minister in a compromising position.
Tiwari recently got relief from the Delhi High Court in a paternity case filed by Rohit Sekhar, who claimed to be his son. The court dismissed Rohit's petition on the grounds of time limitation.
Congress, meanwhile, said the "veracity of the material should be independently verified".
"Since the matter is sub judice, it would be inappropriate to comment. The veracity of the material should be independently verified," Congress spokesman Manish Tewari said.
Tewari said the material could even be morphed.
86-Year Old ND Tiwari in a 'Sex Scandal'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- The Saudi Crown Prince Reveals His Schizophrenia
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- IAF Has Demonstrated Its Capability To Engage With The Adversary: IAF Chief
- Bihar Elections: Former DGP Gupteshwar Pandey Left Ticketless
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Tablighi Case: Freedom Of Speech Most Abused, Says SC
- India’s GDP Expected To Contract By 9.6 Percent This Fiscal: World Bank
- Ind Vs Aus 2020-21: Cricket Series To Start With ODIs In Brisbane From Nov 25