Jaipur, Aug 27 (PTI) At least 48 people were killed and 27 injured when a water tank collapsed today at a village fair in Kama town of Rajasthan's Bharatpur district, about 225 km from here, a district official said.
Bharatput district collector R Venkateshwaran said the victims were among the 200 people who were sitting on the tank and watching a wrestling bout the Bhojan Thali Mela when the tank gave way.
The victims plunged into the water-filled tank which came crashing down, he told Relief Secretary R L Meena.
Rajasthan Home Secretary V S Singh the number of dead stood at 48 and wounded at 27 till late tonight.
Thousands of people were attending the fair when the incident occurred and people ran helter-skelter as panic spread.
Rajasthan government has ordered a probe into the incident and Transport Secretary Parmesh Chandra, a member of Revenue Board will investigate.
48 dead, 27 injured as water tank collapses in Rajasthan town
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- COVID-19 Good Samaritans: No Time To Grieve Father's Death, This Cuttack Man Shows Amazing Work Ethic
- Over 500 Thalassemia Patients Suffer As Lucknow Hospital Shuts Its Door For Them
- Day After Uddhav's Call To PM, Maha Guv Seeks Polls For Nine Legislative Council Seats
- Recovery Rate For COVID-19 Improves From 13% to 25% In Past 14 Days: Health Ministry
- Chuni Goswami, Star Indian Footballer, Bengal Ranji Captain, Dead
- We Don’t Need Spiderman, We Need The Heroism of the Ordinary People
- COVID-19 Testing | 'I Was Cold, Sweaty And Contemplated Suicide. Didn't Know How To Deal With It'
- Being In The Moment: Slow Living In The Time Of Coronavirus Lockdown
- The Eerie Silence Of Lockdown Will Fade In The Chorus Of Love
- Dalgona Coffee, Now Trending Globally, Was Invented In A Delhi Barsati
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- In Cinema's Era Of Action Multi-starrers, Rishi Kapoor Kept Love Stories In Vogue
- Rahul-Rajan Jugalbandi Isn't Just About COVID-19
- Maha Hits Grim Milestone Of 10,000-plus COVID-19 Cases; Deaths Near 500
- With Extra Load Of COVID-19 Patients, Kashmir College Plunges Into Crisis
- Right To Access Internet Not Fundamental Right, Says J&K Admin In SC
- Delhi Historian RV Smith Passes Away; Kejriwal Terms It 'Huge Loss'
- Ligue 1 Season Ends Early, PSG Declared Champions Of France
- Cricket Clubs' Repeated Pleas To Get Long-Standing Dues Fail To Move DDCA