About 38 per cent average polling was recorded across 95 constituencies in Gujarat in the first five hours of the final phase of voting today, which will decide the fate of 820 candidates including Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Veteran BJP leader L K Advani exercised his franchise at a polling booth in Shahpur area here. Earlier in the day, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitely and Modi had cast their vote.
"Around 37-38 per cent polling has been recorded in the first five hours of polling till 1 PM, which is exactly the same as in phase-I till this time," a state Election Commission official said.
"It could be once again a record voter turnout in Gujarat as the trends so far indicate," he said.
A record 70.75 per cent polling was recorded in phase-I of polls.
Modi, who is contesting from Maninagar Assembly constituency, is locked in a direct contest with Congress candidate Shweta Bhatt, wife of suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt.
Seeking a third term in office, Modi exercised his franchise at Nishan High School in Ranip area of the city.
Confident of returning to power, Modi today said, "I thank all the voters. In this election, people of Gujarat will make a hat-trick by giving a third term to us."
Long queues were seen since morning across 23,318 polling stations, with men, women and youths coming out in large numbers.
38% Voting in Phase ll of Gujarat Polls Till 1 PM
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly