At least 34 births and 10 deaths are registered in the country every minute, a census body has revealed.
According to the Registrar General of India, a mind boggling 49,481 births and 14,475 deaths are registered in the country every day but the figure accounts for less than 70 per cent of the actual data.
It also revealed that even though registration of births is an universal right of the child under a UN Convention, to which India is a signatory, the current level of birth registration is 68 per cent.
The death registration in the country stood at 63 per cent of the actual occurrence.
While states like Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh have made considerable improvement in the last four years, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar lagged behind, Registrar General of India D K Sikri told a national conference of Chief Registrars of Births and Deaths.
Presenting the statistics at the two day meet, Sikri said the National Population Policy 2000 has mandated 100 per cent level of registration of deaths and births by 2010.
He said the total number of Registration Units in the country was 2.55 lakh in which 18.6 million births and 5.28 million deaths were registered during 2006.
34 Born, 10 Die Every Minute in India
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CJI To Consider Chidambaram's Case For Urgent Listing; ED Issues Lookout Notice
- US President Donald Trump Offers To Mediate Kashmir Issue Again, Says It's 'Complicated Place'
- 'Disgraceful Misuse Of Power': Rahul Gandhi Flays BJP Govt Over Action Against Chidambaram
- LeT Militant, Police Officer Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- India’s Largest Biscuit Manufacturer Parle Says It Could Slash 10,000 Jobs: Report
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- Chidambaram 'Hunted Down' For Speaking Truth Inconvenient To Cowards: Priyanka Gandhi
- '... Await The Mentioned Hearing': Chidambaram's Lawyer To CBI After Moving SC
- Relief Helicopter Crashes In Rain-Hit Uttarkashi
- Preview: WI Vs IND, 1st Test
- Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Babulal Gaur Passes Away At 89
- MNS Activist Sets Himself Ablaze After ED Issues Notice To Party Chief Raj Thackeray
- Delhi HC Grants Robert Vadra Four Weeks To File Rejoinder In Money Laundering Case
- Preview: Ashes, 3rd Test, ENG Vs AUS