At least 34 births and 10 deaths are registered in the country every minute, a census body has revealed.
According to the Registrar General of India, a mind boggling 49,481 births and 14,475 deaths are registered in the country every day but the figure accounts for less than 70 per cent of the actual data.
It also revealed that even though registration of births is an universal right of the child under a UN Convention, to which India is a signatory, the current level of birth registration is 68 per cent.
The death registration in the country stood at 63 per cent of the actual occurrence.
While states like Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh have made considerable improvement in the last four years, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar lagged behind, Registrar General of India D K Sikri told a national conference of Chief Registrars of Births and Deaths.
Presenting the statistics at the two day meet, Sikri said the National Population Policy 2000 has mandated 100 per cent level of registration of deaths and births by 2010.
He said the total number of Registration Units in the country was 2.55 lakh in which 18.6 million births and 5.28 million deaths were registered during 2006.
34 Born, 10 Die Every Minute in India
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Unnao Rape Survivor Accident: CBI Books UP Minister's Son-In-Law, Kuldeep Sengar For Murder
- AugustaWestland Case: Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Threatening Witnesses, Says ED
- Watch: UP Schoolgirl Stumps Cops With Questions About Unnao Rape Survivor Accident
- In Wake Of CCD Owner's Case, Industrialist Anand Mahindra Has A Piece Of Advice For Entrepreneurs
- Blog | Govinda Does Not Deserve The Lampoon Over Avatar Claims
- Govinda Does Not Deserve The Lampoon Over Avatar Claims
- For All Practical Purposes, BJD Is Now A Part Of NDA
- After India's Chandrayaan-2, Time To See What Other Countries Are Planning On Space Front
- If Chandrayaan-2 Is Successful, India Will Grab Headlines Globally -- For A Positive Reason
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- CJI To Take Up Unnao Rape Survivor's Letter On 'Threats' Tomorrow, Says It Didn't Reach Him
- ‘Are We Delivering Pizzas?’ Derek O'Brien On Hurried Passage Of Bills
- Ganguly Shoots Straight, Reminds What Rights Kohli Has In Coach Selection
- Customer Cancels Order Over 'Non-Hindu' Delivery Boy, This Is How Zomato Responded
- ENG Vs AUS, Ashes 2019, 1st Test Preview
- Demonetisation, GST Rollout Perfect Examples Of Modi Govt's Lack Of Depth, Ineptitude: Rahul Gandhi
- Missing CCD Founder VG Siddhartha's Body Found On River Bank, Police Suspect Suicide
- 2,500 Rare, Stolen Books Recovered From SP Leader Azam Khan's University