The special CBI court holding the day-to-day trial in the 2G case involving former Telecom Minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi besides others would start examining tomorrow a crucial prosecution witness and DoT's senior official A K Srivastava
Special CBI Judge O P Saini would start the recording of statement of Srivastava, a former Deputy Director General (Access Services) of Department of Telecommunication.
Srivastava's testimony assumes significance as he, in his statement to the CBI during the probe in the case, had said that Raja had noted in a DoT file that the cut-off date for receiving applications for grant of the 2G spectrum licenses would be October 1, 2007.
Raja, however, in pursuance of a conspiracy to favour some telecom companies, decided to accept the applications filed with DoT till September 25 only, the CBI had alleged in its charge sheet.
The CBI had also alleged that Raja wanted to favour firms, Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Ltd and Swan Telecom and to extend the favour, he unilaterally advanced the cut-off date for accepting the applications.
Raja ignored various authorities including the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the Law Ministry and the Prime Minister's office (PMO) in the process, it said.
Srivastava, whose testimony is crucial for the CBI, had further told the investigators that Raja's erstwhile Private Secretary R K Chandolia, a co-accused, had on September 24, 2007 enquired from him about the number of applications received so far.
On being told that the applications of Unitech group firms have already been received on September 24, 2007, Chandolia then directed Srivastava not to entertain further applications for the grant of Unified Access Services Licences (UASL) from the next day that is September 25, 2007, the witness had alleged.
Besides Raja and Chandolia, other accused facing trial in the case include Kanimozhi, former Telecom Secretary Siddharth Behura, Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka, MD of Unitech Ltd Sanjay Chandra.
Top Reliance ADAG executives Gautam Doshi, Hari Nair and Surendra Pipara, directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajeev Aggarwal, Bollywood producer Karim Morani and DMK-run Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar are also facing trial in the case.
Besides these 14 accused, three telecom firms -- Swan Telecom Pvt Ltd, Reliance Telecom Ltd and Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Ltd -- are also accused in the case.
2G: Key Witness A.K. Srivastava to Depose on July 30
THE LATEST ISSUE
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why?
- RCB Vs DC: Vibrant Delhi Rout Bangalore By 59 Runs To Go Top Of Table
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle In Bihar Polls
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Reopening Of Schools After Months Of Lockdown
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- FIR Registration Should Be Made Compulsory For All States: Gehlot
- Smriti Irani Calls Rahul Gandhi A 'VIP Kisan'
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Foreign Secretary, Army Chief Of India Visit Myanmar
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli