Former Test cricketer Syed Kirmani unveiled the 2011 ODI World Cup Trophy here today and hoped Team India will end the 28-year-old wait and win it next year.
Kirmani, a member of the 1983 World Cup winning Indian squad, recalled the triumph of the Kapil Dev-led side and said the country's win taught the cricketing fraternity that any team could humble the world champions on its day.
Wishing good luck to the Indian team for the event beginning in February, he said, "The performance this year is a good omen. We had been waiting for 28 years to win the World Cup. Hopefully, this will happen in 2011 and Sachin Tendulkar's dream to win the World Cup in his career is fulfilled."
The ex-stumper praised Team India for its emphatic win over Australia in Bangalore, and said the Test showed the five-day game still had the capacity to attract spectators.
"It was an excellent performance. Everyone, in fact, you people (media) had said Test cricket should not be played. It will dim. Now see what sort of results are coming out. Two days ago, everyone felt it (Bangalore Test) was going to be a draw. But now you see what has happened."
Terming the win as "historic", Kirmani said it was good to see youngsters contributing in the team's victory.
Singling out Tendulkar for praise, he described the batting maestro as a "legendary cricketer". "Whenever he bats, he makes history or crosses some milestones. Hopefully, he will make some unbreakable records."
2011 World Cup Trophy Unveiled in Mumbai
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bombay High Court Grants Bail to Actor Rhea Chakraborty
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- 'Courageous' Suryakumar Yadav A Bright Spot For Mumbai Indians
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In TMC
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Media Trial Of Rhea Chakraborty Shows No Respect For Ethics And Propriety
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- Special Marriage Act: HC Seeks Govt Response On Plea Over 30-Day Notice
- J&K: Militants Open Fire At BJP Leader, PSO Killed
- Hathras Case: UP Govt Grants Probe Panel 10 More Days To File Report
- Public Places Cannot Be Occupied 'Indefinitely': SC On Shaheen Bagh
- French Open: Thiem Stunned In 5-hour Epic As Schwartzman Enters Semis
- No Need To Panic: Steve Smith