Former Test cricketer Syed Kirmani unveiled the 2011 ODI World Cup Trophy here today and hoped Team India will end the 28-year-old wait and win it next year.
Kirmani, a member of the 1983 World Cup winning Indian squad, recalled the triumph of the Kapil Dev-led side and said the country's win taught the cricketing fraternity that any team could humble the world champions on its day.
Wishing good luck to the Indian team for the event beginning in February, he said, "The performance this year is a good omen. We had been waiting for 28 years to win the World Cup. Hopefully, this will happen in 2011 and Sachin Tendulkar's dream to win the World Cup in his career is fulfilled."
The ex-stumper praised Team India for its emphatic win over Australia in Bangalore, and said the Test showed the five-day game still had the capacity to attract spectators.
"It was an excellent performance. Everyone, in fact, you people (media) had said Test cricket should not be played. It will dim. Now see what sort of results are coming out. Two days ago, everyone felt it (Bangalore Test) was going to be a draw. But now you see what has happened."
Terming the win as "historic", Kirmani said it was good to see youngsters contributing in the team's victory.
Singling out Tendulkar for praise, he described the batting maestro as a "legendary cricketer". "Whenever he bats, he makes history or crosses some milestones. Hopefully, he will make some unbreakable records."
2011 World Cup Trophy Unveiled in Mumbai
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine