Former Test cricketer Syed Kirmani unveiled the 2011 ODI World Cup Trophy here today and hoped Team India will end the 28-year-old wait and win it next year.
Kirmani, a member of the 1983 World Cup winning Indian squad, recalled the triumph of the Kapil Dev-led side and said the country's win taught the cricketing fraternity that any team could humble the world champions on its day.
Wishing good luck to the Indian team for the event beginning in February, he said, "The performance this year is a good omen. We had been waiting for 28 years to win the World Cup. Hopefully, this will happen in 2011 and Sachin Tendulkar's dream to win the World Cup in his career is fulfilled."
The ex-stumper praised Team India for its emphatic win over Australia in Bangalore, and said the Test showed the five-day game still had the capacity to attract spectators.
"It was an excellent performance. Everyone, in fact, you people (media) had said Test cricket should not be played. It will dim. Now see what sort of results are coming out. Two days ago, everyone felt it (Bangalore Test) was going to be a draw. But now you see what has happened."
Terming the win as "historic", Kirmani said it was good to see youngsters contributing in the team's victory.
Singling out Tendulkar for praise, he described the batting maestro as a "legendary cricketer". "Whenever he bats, he makes history or crosses some milestones. Hopefully, he will make some unbreakable records."
2011 World Cup Trophy Unveiled in Mumbai
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Live Updates | CBI Seeks 5-Day Custody Of Chidambaram, Court Order Soon
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- OPINION | 'Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave'
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Pakistan Says Kartarpur Corridor Will Be Opened In November
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- NDA Candidate Against Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE
- 'Yeh Mauka Ka Khel Hai' - Sehwag Wants Rohit To Get Long Run In Tests
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- WATCH: Guns Fail To Fire Shots During Ex-Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra's State Honours Ceremony
- MP CM Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Moves Court To Surrender In AgustaWestland Case