South Indian cinema proved to be the lucky charm this year for Bollywood, with the movies, actors and songs like 'Kolaveri di' leaving a mark on the Hindi film industry like never before.
Riding high on the trend was actor Salman Khan, who seems to be keen on making a Hindi remake of every hit movie from South. He started with 'Wanted' and kept the cash registers ringing by starring in remakes of 'Ready' and 'Bodyguard'.
The film starred Asin as the female lead. Salman's second hit of the year 'Bodyguard', opposite Kareena Kapoor, was also a remake of Malayalam film of the same name. It was directed by Siddique, who also directed the original.
The actor is starring in another remake 'Kick', which will be directed by Shirish Kunder and will hit the theatres next year.
Ajay Devgan and John Abraham followed the suit by starring in 'Singham' and 'Force', which predictably did well at the box office.
It was not only Devgan's action sequences which kept the audience glued but actor Prakash Raj's one liners were an instant hit.
'Force', another action thriller film starring John Abraham and Genelia Dsouza, was a remake of Gautham Menon's successful 2003 Tamil film, 'Kaakha Kaakha'. Menon is making his Bollywood debut with 'Ek Deewana Tha', slated to release next year.
The film saw John showing off his eight packs and muscle power as he did some daring action scenes. It was after a long time John was seen in an action role.
Southern remakes have been a part of Bollywood since the 90's with films like 'Judwaa', 'Nayak', 'Khushi', 'Shakti, 'Mr and Mrs Khiladi', 'Sunday', 'Ghajini' and 'Wanted' but the trend had been missing for a while. 2011 saw the return of Southern touch in the industry in full 'Force'.
It wasn't just Southern remakes which created a rage. Tamil-English song 'Kolaveri Di', sung by Rajinikanth's son-in-law Dhanush took the industry by a storm.
'Why This Kolaveri Di' which means 'Why this murderous rage, girl?', a funny take on heartbreak, became an online craze and attracted fans like Amitabh Bachchan. Dhanush also tweaked his song as 'Kolaveri B' in honour of Big B.
Akshay Kumar has reportedly bought the rights to the song and plans to make a Hindi version of it. Thanks to its popularity, Dhanush is also said to be planning his debut in Hindi cinema.
The year came to close with Vidya Balan's dare-bare act in 'The Dirty Picture', a story inspired by Southern sex siren Silk Smitha.
Balan not only brought ample skin-show in the film but also gave a depth to the tragic star, forcing audience to sympathise with Silk.
The year also saw some of the biggies from south making their Bollywood debut.
Southern superstar Prakash Raj redefined the bad man in Bollywood with his evil turn in films like 'Wanted' and 'Singham'.
The national award winning actor, who has given hits like 'Iruvar', 'Kanchivaram', 'Nuvve', 'Tagore' and 'Sivakasi' down South, will reportedly also be seen in Sunny Deol starer 'Ghayal returns', a sequel to Deol's 1990 film 'Ghayal'.
A new face that made a debut in the industry was Kajal Agarwal with the film 'Singham'.
Actor Rana Daggubati also tasted success with his debut in 'Dum Maaro Dum' opposite Bipasha Basu. He has bagged his second movie in Ram Gopal Varma's 'Department'. Last year, Suriya made his debut in Bollywood 'Rakta Charitra'.
2011: Bollywood Tasted Success in Southern Style
Ayesha Mouza/New Delhi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Takes Oath As The CM Of Assam, Here Are The Names Of Other Ministers
- 34 Aligarh Muslim University Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases, 3,754 Deaths
- Game Over, Or Halftime? Mamata Faces Full-Blown Tussle With BJP
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- Natasha Narwal Granted Interim Bail After Father Dies Of Covid-19
- M.K. Stalin: The Prince Who Finally Became King
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- BCCI Will Be Ultra-cautious For T20 World Cup: Jimmy Neesham