A witness in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots today alleged before a court, trying senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and others, that the Delhi police virtually helped the rioters during the carnage.
"I was watching from the window that police vans came and on seeing them Sikhs rushed out of hoping they would help. Thereafter, the police vans went away and then after sometime, mobs came and burnt those very houses from where Sikhs came out out," Joginder Singh told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta.
Deposing as seventh witness, Singh identified Kumar's co-accused ex-MLA Mahender Yadav, ex-councillor and Kumar's nephews Balwan Khokar and Kishan Khokar and Captain Bhagmal as those involved in the riots that had followed the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
The 53-year-old witness, whose father-in-law was also killed in the riots, said the mob was led by Khokar brothers and Yadav.
He also narrated how the houses were burnt by mobs and how Sikhs and wing Commander Punnu, who once chased away the accused, were killed during the riots.
Singh's deposition was completed today. He is likely to be cross examined by the defence counsel on November 19, the next date of hearing.
Kumar, the former outer Delhi MP, along with others are facing trial for the killing of five persons at Delhi Cantonment during the case.
CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of the G T Nanavati Commission.
1984 Riots: Witness Alleges Cops Helped Rioters
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Calcutta HC To Review No-Go Orders For Puja Pandals Today
- KXIP Vs DC: Hooda Takes Punjab Home After Pooran Fifty
- Will Rahul, Priyanka Join Bypoll Campaign? Don’t Hold Your Breath
- Ahead Of Polls, Bengal Braces For Bloodbath
- Health Minister Hails Outlook Poshan Campaign
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- My Heart Keeps Reaching New Limits, Confesses KL Rahul
- PM Modi's Address To The Nation: Lockdown Is Over But Virus Is Not Gone
- DDLJ Turns 25: 10 Ways In Which The Iconic Film Changed Bollywood Forever
- Bihar Elections: Will Chirag Paswan's Gamble Of Going It Alone Pay Off?
- Massive Festive Sales Brings Hope And Cheer To E-Tailers
- Parents Fume Over Govt Decision To Open Schools Partially
- 6 Arrested From Kangra, Shimla Over Bus Conductors’ Recruitment Scam
- Morata Gets Pirlo Off To Winning Start In Champions League