The News Scroll 22 May 2019  Last Updated at 6:57 pm | Source: PTI

Sri Lanka court recalls bailed employees of bomber's factory

Sri Lanka court recalls bailed employees of bomber's factory

Colombo, May 22 (PTI) A Sri Lankan court Wednesday ordered nine workers of a copper factory owned by a suicide bomber of the Easter terror attack to reappear in the court on May 27 after they were granted bail.

The nine employees, arrested from the factory at Wellampitiya in Colombo suburb on April 22 over the attack, were granted bail on May 6 by the Colombo Magistrate's Court due to lack of documents and it was alleged that police may have erred by not filing the case under the anti-terrorism law.

While granting bail, the court said the police had failed to mention the offences the suspects were alleged to have committed.

Colombo Additional Magistrate Priyantha Liyanage Wednesday ordered the suspects to reappear on May 27.

The order came after the Sri Lankan authorities launched a probe into any lapses on the part of the police which led to the bail of the nine workers.

The copper factory where the nine suspects were working was owned by Mohamed Ibrahim Insaf Ahmed, the suicide bomber at the Cinnamon Grand Hotel, one of the three luxury hotels attacked on April 21.

It was suspected that bombs used in the attack had been packed at the copper factory.

Police say they have arrested over 80 suspects in connection with the attacks.

Nine suicide bombers carried out a series of devastating blasts that tore through three churches and as many luxury hotels on Easter Sunday, killing more than 250 people and injuring 500 others.

The ISIS terror group claimed the attacks, but the government blamed the local Islamist extremist group National Thawheed Jammath (NTJ) for the Ester Sunday bombings.

Sri Lankan Parliament has agreed to set up a select committee to probe the attack.

The government has come under wide spread criticism for its alleged failure to act to prevent the attack despite the availability of prior intelligence.

President Sirisena had appointed a three-member panel to report on the responsibility of the security establishment.

He has already fired the defense ministry secretary and sent the then police chief on compulsory leave. PTI CORR MRJ AKJ MRJ

Disclaimer :- This story has not been edited by Outlook staff and is auto-generated from news agency feeds. Source: PTI
Next Story : Kenyan author, LGBT activist Binyavanga Wainaina dies at 48
Download the Outlook ​Magazines App. Six magazines, wherever you go! Play Store and App Store