Portrait Of A Prodigy
- Ranked 33rd in IIT entrance exam at 14
- Gold medal at International Biology Olympiad at 14
- Bronze medal at 14, silver at 13, at Asian Physics Olympiad
- Passed Class X at 12, Class XII at 14
- Won Nehru Planetarium’s Young Astronomer Award at ages 10 and 11
Sahal Kaushik keeps mostly to himself as he makes his way around the sprawling IIT Kanpur campus with student guide Soumyajit Bose. It’s his first day of class and, at 14, he is the youngest ever student to enter the portals of an IIT; no little feat, but amplified by his somewhat unconventional education—home-schooling, no less—and the award of a gold medal at the International Biology Olympiad in Seoul.
Not surprisingly, his reputation has preceded him here. As second-year student Soumyajit puts it, “There is a lot of curiosity about him on campus, because making it to IIT at the age...