Tips For Adoptive Parenting
- Bring up the child as if he/she is your biological child.
- Don't put pressure on the child in academics or other activities. Remember, the child must be nurtured.
- Utilise opportunities from the time the child is three or four to tell him/her that this is a foster home. Don't wait for him/her to hear about it from outside.
- Don't reveal details of the birth parents to the child.
- Shun the 'bad seed theory', blaming every folly of the child on his/her biological parents.
- Inform the school about the child growing up in a foster home, request them to take extra care in teaching.
- Do not encourage the child to undertake a search for his/her biological parents.
- Lead the child through the emotional turbulence when he/she learns about being in a foster home.
Subscribe to Outlook’s Newsletter