- Operation costs up: Rs 1,300 cr
- Earnings down: Rs 1,100 cr
- Deficit (Approximate): Rs 2,500 cr
- Dedicated freight corridor The project has barely made any progress due to Mamata's somewhat rigid stand on land acquisition from farmers
- Tracks and Safety Upgradation of tracks and safety equipment hasn't happened
- Vacant posts Key posts within the ministry have been lying vacant for months
- Public-private partnership Mamata has turned a blind eye to public-private partnership in many projects
The railway ministry was already reeling under the pressures of working with an absentee minister, Mamata Banerjee, but now a bigger problem lies in wait. With the West Bengal elections around the corner, the message is clear that the lady will not be returning to her ministerial berth. Which leads to the poser: who will be the next railway minister? While the Trinamool Congress will be keen on keeping the post with itself, it seems that even senior leaders from the party would rather grab a post in the state seeing as there’s a high possibility of the party winning the assembly elections.