The Dole Route
- Delhi Despite leading with schemes like Bhagidari, Congress lost due to poor implementation, corruption.
- Rajasthan Schemes like free medicine, right to time-bound services implemented. Political disconnect, delay failed to help.
- Mizoram CM Lalthanhawla rode to victory on a range of welfare schemes.
- Madhya Pradesh Welfare and empowerment through rights-based services model along with a strong dose of development helped CM Shivraj Chouhan win a third term.
- Chhattisgarh Chief minister Raman Singh continues to be identified by his welfare programmes. However his support base has slipped in the interiors for varied reasons.
One of the biggest ‘fights’ of 2013 was centred on economics—yes, growth versus development—with Jagdish Bhagwati and Amartya Sen playing the lead actors. Now, in the dying days of December,...