The contents of these tiny booklets are by turn amusing, inflammatory and ridiculous. Sample these, relating to menstruation:
- Papads will turn red and taste foul if a menstruating woman looks at them.
- Plants, flowers will wilt if a menstruating woman so much as glances at them.
- Keep evidence of menstruation out of sight of men, otherwise they’ll turn blind. On sexual relations between husband and wife:
- In women, too much sex leads to constipation, weakness, headaches, TB, sleeplessness, depression, anger, etc. In men, it can lead to inattentiveness, weakness.
- Too much sex and the kids will stop listening to you. Or these, on giving birth to the ‘perfect son’:
- Intercourse between 12 PM and 3 AM increases one’s chances of conceiving a noble son.
- Do not speak to evil persons, menstruating women while pregnant, or else your son will be born a monster.
And the seven virtues of a good daughter-in-law: shyness, sweetness, a smiling countenance, a heart filled with love, industrious hands, devotion to duty and religiosity.