Allegations Against Modi
- He operated as a ‘Super Chief Minister’ from the opulent Rambagh Palace Hotel
- Used his proximity to then CM Vasundhararaje to control key civil servants who would take files to his hotel suite
- Facilitated entry of big builders in the state. Every big land deal had to have his clearance.
- Influenced change in the liquor policy which led to the proliferation of liquor outlets. Became an election issue.
- Had a finger in every pie, including mines
- Personally acquired havelis in Amer by bending the law
- Has an extravagant lifestyle, owns a private jet. Would stay for days in the luxury suite of the Rambagh Palace Hotel.
- Influenced the enactment of the Rajasthan Sports Act to gain control over the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA)
- Accused of forging signature to become a member of the RCA
- Rode roughshod over anyone who crossed his path, whether it was a constable or an IPS officer. A slapping incident sparked a near-revolt in the Jaipur police.
- Was named in an FIR for misappropriation of RCA funds. The money has subsequently been deposited with the RCA.
- Convicted in the United States for possession of drugs and kidnapping in 1985
The opulent Prince’s Suite at the Rambagh Palace Hotel in Jaipur was once occupied by Maharani Gayatri Devi’s son, Prince Jagat Singh. In the 21st century, though, it has been home to a controversial modern-day prince, Lalit Kumar Modi, for several days every other month for the last four years. The jetsetting industrialist, man about town and architect of the spectacularly successful Indian Premier League, whose reported fondness for the good life is matched only by his overweening ambition, didn’t just administer the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) from this charmed, Rs 90,000-a-night zone of luxury. He reportedly ran Rajasthan, courtesy his proximity to the former state chief minister, Vasundhararaje.