Many A Slip To The Sip
- 30 Number of Indian cities where private sector and MNCs have been roped in by civic bodies to manage the water supply.
- 0 No project has so far delivered on lofty commitments; most continue to face major opposition from the consuming public and civil society.
- 100 Average percentage rise in water tariff in cities and urban areas with privatisation projects. More to follow?
- 0 Obligation on water conservation or sewage treatment by PPPs, even as public funds and manpower is being provided to them.
- 35 Duration, in years, of management contracts being signed by civic bodies, up from pilot management projects for a few years.
Across the road, on the other side of the gleaming new malls of south Delhi, is the older but not quite glamorous settlement of Hauz Rani. It’s summer, holiday time. But every evening, when they ought to be...