The Poor Bustard...
- Designate well-protected core breeding areas, where the bustards’ ecological needs are factored in with low-intensity livelihood concerns
- Enlist support of local communities and all the relevant departments
- Conserve grasslands. Curtail detrimental infrastructure and other projects in GIB priority areas.
- Policy changes regarding land use and prioritisation of ‘Bustard-friendly grazing’ and cropping policies
- Controlling feral dog populations in and around critical GIB areas
On the afternoon of September 15, a farmer in Karamba village of Solapur, Maharashtra, was grazing his cattle when he noticed a large, severely injured bird on the ground, its wings singed. Hovering by, waiting for death to strike, were a few feral dogs. As he edged closer, he saw a black mobile-like device on the prone creature. He knew the bird, a frequent visitor to his...