- August 17, 2012: CAG tables report on coal block allocations
- September 7-13: Zee News runs a series, ‘Kala Patthar’, after editors decide Naveen Jindal is one of the largest beneficiaries
- September 10: Jindal allegedly manhandles Zee reporters when they approach him for comments. Zee telecasts slap footage with reruns; footage runs on several other TV channels
- September 10: Jindal representative Ravi Muthreja phones Zee editor and business head Samir Ahluwalia asking for a meeting. Ahluwalia says Muthreja made an offer of Rs 25 crore to black out negative news. Muthreja alleges Samir sought ad contract for Rs 25 crore, which was upped to Rs 100 crore.
- September 15 and 17: Jindal and Zee officials meet to discuss modalities of deal. The conversations are videotaped.
- October 2: Jindal officials file an FIR alleging extortion, criminal...