- India is the world’s largest banana producer, accounting for over 26 per cent global production.
- From just 0.01 per cent share,, India hopes to capture 2 per cent of global banana trade in five years.
- Exports have risen nearly five times from Rs 11.7 crore in 2003-04 to Rs 55 crore in 2008-09
- Productivity per plant has risen from the low levels of 15-20 kg to around 70 kg in many farms.
- In two years flat, banana acreage has gone up 30 per cent to 7,80,000 hectares.
Banana Varieties Being Produced in India