Land And Apples
- 3.06 lakh hectares Total agriculture land
- 1.56 lakh hectares Total horticulture land
- 56,000 hectares Agriculture land converted into horticulture since the 1990s
- 68,723 hectares Total area under apple cultivation in 1990
- 1.85 lakh hectares Total area under apple cultivation in 2016-17
At Mohanpora hamlet, 15 km from Shopian town, a 52-year-old farmer Bashir Ahmad Dar is working hard at his apple orchard spread over 25 kanals (0.8 acre equals 1 kanal) with his wife, son and two daughters. They are busy selecting the best apples and packing them in crates to be sent to various states. Bashir recalls Mohanpora was once all agriculture land, where the farmers used to grow paddy. That began to change in the 1980s, with more and more farmers turning their rice fields into apple orchards.