The National Population Policy 2000 set targets to be achieved by 2010. A review of the progress after three years:
- Reduce Infant Mortality Rate to below 30 per 1,000 births. Now: 74 per 1,000.
- Reduce Maternal Mortality Rate to below 100 per 1,000 births. Now: 437 per 1,000.
- Achieve 100% immunisation. Now: 61% in rural areas, with a mere 37% vaccination cover among rural children.
- 80% institutional deliveries. Now: Only 34% of deliveries in medical institutions.
- Achieve universal access to services for fertility regulation. Now: 28% have no access to these services.