Twists & Turns Of The AAP
- 2011-12 India Against Corruption campaign
- Nov 26, 2012 AAP is formally launched
- Dec 2013 AAP wins 28 seats in the Delhi assembly
- Dec 28 Arvind Kejriwal and six ministers sworn in at Ramlila ground
- Dec 30 Announcement of 700 litres of free water every month
- Dec 31 A 50% subsidy announced on power bills up to 400 units of consumption
- Jan 4, 2014 Kejriwal refuses security and duplex accommodation
- Jan 7 Law minister Somnath Bharti calls HC judges to meeting
- Jan 11 Chaos at CM’s first ‘janata durbar’; big crowd breaks security cordon; CM retreats
- Jan 16 Somnath Bharti and Rakhee Birla conduct midnight raid on African women living in Khirki
- Jan 20 Night-long dharna outside Rail Bhavan by CM and ministers. They want action against policemen who had refused to arrest African women.
- Jan 26 Legislator Vinod Binny is expelled from the party after he calls Kejriwal dictatorial
- Feb 11 AAP govt orders FIR lodged against Mukesh Ambani, Veerappa Moily, Murli Deora for inflating CNG prices
- Feb 14 Kejriwal resigns, brings the curtains down on the 49-day government
- May 16 414 of 434 candidates fielded by AAP in the Lok Sabha election lose their security deposit
- May 16 AAP does polls four per cent more votes (32.9%) in the capital than in the assembly elections but fails to win even one of the seven Lok Sabha seats.
- May 16 Kejriwal loses the election from Varanasi to Narendra Modi
- May 31 Yogendra Yadav resigns from AAP’s political affairs committee; accuses colleagues of succumbing to a personality cult
- Oct AAP decides not to fight Haryana assembly polls
- Oct AAP accuses the BJP of delaying polls in Delhi
- Dec Kejriwal travels Business Class to receive award. BJP snipes.
- Jan 2015 AAP releases list of 70 candidates for Delhi assembly; decides against coalitions
The venue is the Pacific Asia banquet hall at the Cascade shopping centre, one of the many malls in Pitampura, west Delhi. On the lunch menu are pakoras and soup as starters, standard vegetarian fare as the main course, finished off with ice-cream and sweets. The main item on the menu, however, is Aam Aadmi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal, who makes a strong pitch to the traders and businessmen present, some of whom have paid Rs 20,000 per plate. The face of AAP makes a short speech before moving from table to table and finally settling to eat himself: “If I take money from a bijli baron like Ambani, they will say increase the prices of electricity. If I wanted that kind of money, I would not come to you. You invest in me, you invest in the future. I am from the income tax service. I understand your problems. I know how the raids are done just to extort money from small traders. They teach you how to bribe and not give taxes. I promise you the end of raid raj in Delhi and the lowest VAT in the country.”