...And What India Wants To Do
- Sell the country as a brand with the slogan "Incredible !ndia".
- Pursue foreign tourists through four themes: mind, body and soul; heritage; the Himalayas; and wildlife.
- Centre to coordinate with states to market these themes.
- States to follow their own branding strategy and come up with their own slogans like "Unlimited Maharashtra".
- Create tourism hubs across the country.
- Currently, such hubs are being developed at Red Fort (Delhi), Ajanta-Ellora (Maharashtra), Bastar (Chhattisgarh), Fort Cochin (Kerala), Bodh Gaya (Bihar) and Mahabalipuram (TN).
- Increase plan outlay for tourism from Rs 525 crore in the Ninth Plan to Rs 2,900 crore in the Tenth. Sixty per cent of the allocation to fund infrastructure projects and the remaining to be spent on marketing India.
Subscribe to Outlook’s Newsletter