It’s War Out There
Seven meetings on, government and civil society reps drafting the Lokpal bill are split on four key issues
- Civil society: PM and Supreme and High Court judges should be brought under Lokpal’s purview
- Government: This is constitutionally untenable; PM should get immunity or should be investigated with adequate safeguards
- Civil society: MPs can be examined by a body headed by an ombudsman
- Government: This can’t be allowed in a parliamentary democracy. Parliament is supreme.
- Civil society: CBI, CVC should merge into Lokpal, which must have an independent investigative arm
- Government: PC now says independent arm possible but it will have to come from within agencies like the CBI, ED...