The Right Hand Man
- Shastry seen as the person who had joint secretary Tirumurti transferred
- It is alleged that Tirumurti was moved out as he was trying to prevent unfair practices
in awarding contracts
- Shastry also accused of interfering in the MEA’s functioning
- Charged with leaking information to the media
- Has little knowledge of diplomacy but attends minister’s meetings with his counterparts
On April 29, the ministry of external affairs saw a “unique reshuffle” of five joint secretaries, setting South Block all abuzz with speculation about corruption, deal-making and subtle but sinister power-plays. The Indian diplomatic corps still remains incensed, with agitated MEA officials putting all the blame for the controversy at the door of Raghavendra Shastry, foreign minister S.M. Krishna’s advisor who was brought to South Block in May 2009—with the rank...