• GHAI
    Sep 18, 2018 05:22 PM

Another beautiful poem by Said Zafeer

• GHAI
    Sep 18, 2018 05:05 PM

They call me Pakistani’: Poet narrates his life as a Muslim living in India; watch video
    A poet named Syed Zafeer narrates his struggle of living in India but still being described as someone from another country in a soul-stirring poem titled 'Woh Kehte Hain Mujhe Pakistani (They Call Me Pakistani)'.
    Written by Jyotsna Basotia | New Delhi | Updated: February 5, 2018 9:50:39 pm
    pakistan, poem pakistan, pakistani poetry, Woh Kehte Hain Mujhe Pakistani, urdu poetry, eid poem, indian express, indian express news

• GHAI
    Sep 18, 2018 04:57 PM

This Beautiful Poem Perfectly Captures An Indian Muslim's World

Feb 20, 2017 - Main sajda karne wala hoon ya jhatka khaane wala hoon? Main topi ... Mujhmein Geeta ka saar bhi hai, ek urdu ka akhbaar bhi hai. Mera ek

• GHAI
    Sep 18, 2018 04:49 PM

Being a Muslim today can come with its own baggage and stereotypes. The steady rise of Islamophobia in the post-9/11 world, the depredations of ISIS, and pronouncements by the new American president or leaders closer home don't make things any easier for Indian Muslim men, women, boys or girls as they try and go about their daily lives.

In his evocative poem, Hindustani Musalmaan, Hussain Haidry highlights the diversity of class, caste, region, belief systems, food habits and personal attitudes that a bland term like 'Indian Muslim' can hide.

Haidry recited his poem at Kommune India, a storytelling platform founded by performers Ankur Tiwari, Roshan Abbas, and Gaurav Kapur for young artists wanting to showcase their talent and share their thoughts.

Here are bits from his poem.

Main Shia hoon ya Sunni hoon

Main Khoja hoon ya Bohri hoon

Main gaaon se hoon ya shehri hoon

Main Baagi hoon ya Sufi hoon

Main Quomi hoon ya Dhongi hoon

Main kaisa musalman hoon bhai?

Main sajda karne wala hoon ya jhatka khaane wala hoon?

Main topi pehen ke phirta hoon ya daadhi uda ke rehta hoon?

Main aayat call se padhta hoon ya filmi gaane ramta hoon?

Main Allah Allah karta hoon ya shekhu se ladd padta hoon?

Main kaisa musalman hoon bhai?

Main Hindustani Musalman hoon

Dakkan se hoon, UP se hoon, Bhopal se hoon, Delhi se hoon,

Kashmir se hoon, Gujarat se hoon

Harr unchi neechi jaat se hoon

Main hi hoon julaha mocha bhi

Main doctor bhi hoon darji bhi

Mujhmein Geeta ka saar bhi hai, ek urdu ka akhbaar bhi hai

Mera ek mahina Ramzan bhi hai, maine kiya toh Ganga snaan bhi hai

Apne hi taur se jeeta hoon

Daaru cigarette bhi peeta hoon

Koi neta meri nas nas mein nahi, main kisi party ke bas mein nahi

Main Hindustani Musalman hoon !!!!

• GHAI
    Sep 18, 2018 04:21 PM

Zafeer’s poem asks an impertinent but important question:

“On 15 August, with a lot of pride I think
    In the evening I will go out wearing my tri-colour Sherwani
    But those cruel people, on August 14 itself they come to me and they say
    Happy Independence Day, you Pakistani.
    ...
    My answer is this –
    In the tri-colour of the Indian flag I have found my identity
    In the success of this country I have found my honour, dignity and pride
    If there is one song I know, it is the national song
    On my heart with blood I have engraved Hindustan
    So tell me this – how, then, can I go to Pakistan?”

Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+ here. We welcome your comments at letters@scroll.in.