Yuvraj 6 x6 Is Maharaj At Kingsmead
Yuvraj Singh set Kingsmead on fire hitting six sixes in an over and his batting pyrotechnics propelled India to an imposing match-winning total of 218 for four against England in a crucial Super Eights ma
Yuvraj Singh set Kingsmead on fire hitting six sixes in an over and his batting pyrotechnics propelled India to an imposing match-winning total of 218 for four against England in a crucial Super Eights match of the Twenty20 cricket World Cup.
For those who missed the action:
After Delhi duo Virender Sehwag (68,52b,4x4,3x6) and Gautam Gambhir (58,41b,7x4,1x6) laid the foundation with an opening stand of 136 runs, Yuvraj (58,16b,3x4,7x6) lit up the stadium with the fastest fifty in Twenty20 that came off just 12 balls and included three fours and six sixes. He thus joins the select, small group of people who have achieved this feat before:
1968: The all-time great Sir Gary Sobers of the West Indies, playing for Nottinghamshire against Glamorgan's Malcolm Nash.
1984: India's very own Ravi Shastri, playing for Bombay against Baroda in 1984.
2007: Herschelle Gibbs of South Africa in the World Cup match against the Netherlands at the Warner Park at Basseterre , St Kitts.
While the first two were in first class games, Gibbs was the first player to do so in a one-day international and Yuvraj thus becomes the first to do so in the Twenty20 version of the game. And that too, of course, in its first WOrld Cup.
Yuvraj later said he was reminded of the five sixes Dimitri Mascarenhas hit off his bowling during the sixth one-day international at the Oval in London earlier this month.
"I got more phone calls after that over than when I get for scoring a century," Yuvraj said after being named the man of the match."
"So I decided to do something about it and luckily I got my chance today. I just went for the shots and they came off."
"But what is important is that we are still in with a chance of making the semi-finals and hopefully we can play as well against South Africa."
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In Cutthroat Delhi, Shiela Dikshit Steered Congress With Poise And Dignity
- Sheila Dikshit, Former Delhi CM And Senior Congress Leader, Dies At 81
- Sheila Dikshit Was A Beloved Daughter Of Congress: Rahul Gandhi
- Outlook-ICARE India University Rankings: Top 100 Universities
- That's Dhoni We All Know! Ex-Captain Takes 2-Month 'Military' Break Amid Retirement Rumours
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- Didn't Know It Would Be My Last: Kejriwal Recalls Meeting Sheila Dikshit
- BJP Leader Threatens To 'Spill MP CM Kamal Nath's Blood', Gets Arrested
- Anandiben Patel Appointed UP Governor, Lalji Tandon Replaces Her In MP
- Woman Dumps Baby Girl In A Drain, Stray Dogs Save Her In Haryana
- Indonesia Open 2019: Sindhu Humbles Second Seed Yu Fei, Enters Final
- For 11 Years In A Row, Mukesh Ambani Keeps His Salary Capped At Rs 15 Crore
- MEA In Touch With Iran To Secure Release Of 18 Indians Aboard Seized British Tanker
- For The First Time, Captain And Coach Have The Power To Allow Visits From WAGs