World Cup Roundup Day 16: Clinical Cavani Strikes Again, A World Cup Classic, Mbappe Arrives On The International Stage
Talking about dark horses, neither of France or Argentina were one- they were outright favourites for the crown. So we were in for a great game, and what followed exceeded all expectations.
If the first two games of the knockout stages is anything to go by, we are in for quite the ride. Need a quick rundown of what exactly happened? Here is your definitive round up of Day 16 of the World Cup.
KEY PERFORMANCE: Edinson Cavani
For a man who gets overshadowed by acts of his teammates- Ibrahimovic and Neymar at a club level, and Suarez at an International level- Cavani really took the spotlight on a night which had Cristiano Ronaldo written all over the script. His first was a cross-field one-two with strike partner Luis Suarez, and the second needed help from his defensive teammates. The towering forward had two shots, both on target and both were goals. Those two shots were enough to dump the European Champions Portugal out of the competition. Uruguay have won all their games so far, with their attack performing particularly well. Cavani and Suarez need to keep combining well if Uruguay are to continue their purple patch.
KEY RESULT: France 4, Argentina 3
Talking about dark horses, neither of France or Argentina were one- they were outright favourites for the crown. So we were in for a great game, and what followed exceeded all expectations. France took the lead through a Griezmann penalty, but Argentina found their equaliser through a classic Di Maria long ranger. A relentless Messi put them ahead as his shot deflected of his own teammate Mercado to go in, only for France to equalise through a Pavard stunner, before an Mbappe quickfire double ensured that Aguero’s late goal would only be a consolation. Argentina’s defence kept giving it away, but their star-studded almost always found a way back in, but they just couldn’t do it enough number of times. It was befitting that the game ended on Argentina’s attack, wrapping up a game which was all about attacking and will go down in the history books as one of the most entertaining.
KEY INCIDENT: The arrival of Kylian Mbappe
To be completely fair, Kylian Mbappe probably was a better performer than Edinson Cavani on Day 16, but it wasn’t his performance which drew so many eyes rather than the idea of his performance. A 19-year-old schools Lionel Messi- probably the greatest player ever to grace the game. It was a training ground exercise for Mbappe, as the Argentine defence failed to keep up with his pace and agility. He deserved his two goals, the first from a counter-attack and the second a tap-in, making him the first teenager to score two in a World Cup game since Pele against Sweden in 1958. There are lofty expectations on the 19-year-old, but he seems to take the challenge head-on, and France would do well to build their future teams around him. On a day where two of the best players in the world, Ronaldo and Messi, went home from what is most likely their last ever World Cup, a new star was born. Football, bloody hell.
- Ayushman Bharat: PM Modi To Launch 'World's Largest Healthcare Programme' Today
- After Hollande's Rafale Bomb, Can Rahul Turn It Into Bofors-Like Controversy?
- 'Small Men Who Don't Have Vision To See Larger Picture': Pak PM Imran Khan After Talks Called Off
- Obsessed With Selfies And Afraid Of Body-Shaming, Teenagers Are Turning To Cosmetic Surgery
- What? Where? Why? A Guide To Universities And Business Schools Abroad
- Why Railways' Largest Recruitment Drive May Fail To Address Passenger Safety Concerns
- Article 35A: An Unprecedented Situation In Kashmir
- Four Months Of Kumaraswami Govt: Karnataka Power Games Carry On
- Prashant Kishor No Exception, Nitish Has Always Relied On 'Apolitical' Advisors
- With A Formidable BJP, Is Mamata Worried About Hindu Votes?
- The VVIP Culture In Indian Railways
- Ayushman Bharat: PM Modi To Launch 'World's Largest Healthcare Programme'
- Kerala Nun Rape: Bishop Franco Mulakkal Sent To 2-Day Police Custody
- Militants Adopted Similar Strategy To Abduct, Kill Three Policemen In Kashmir
- Delhi: 60-Year-Old Woman, Differently-Abled Daughter Found Dead Inside Home
- Asia Cup 2018: India-Pakistan Rematch In Super Four Serves As Precursor To Final
- Rima Das' 'Village Rockstars' Makes Official Entry To Oscars 2019
- Not Involved In Choice Of Indian Partners For Rafale Deal, Says French Govt
- Trump Administration Says Will Revoke Work Permits To H4 Visa Holders Within 3 Months