Why The IPL’s Critics Are Mean And Wrong
If you want to read only one piece on IPL today, make it a point to read this one by Mukul Kesavan, writing in the Telegraph: Much ado about nothing
The uproar about the IPL following the ‘revelations’ about S. Sreesanth and his erring teammates threatens to become farcical...
N. Srinivasan, the BCCI president, is a special target for dead-ender venom. Everything he does is designated nefarious. The fact that he is in charge of the BCCI and the owner of an IPL franchise is deemed a wicked conflict of interest. When Srikkanth wore two hats, one as the chief selector of the national team and the other as brand ambassador for the Chennai Super Kings, the franchise owned by Srinivasan, journalists sang the conflict-of-interest ditty like a theme song. Srinivasan’s decision to make Dhoni a vice-president of India Cements Ltd, a company he happens to own, apparently compounds this conflict-of-interest problem. This carping has got to the stage where not even a man’s business is his own business, if you see what I mean.
If men are known by the company they keep, Mr Srinivasan is in very good company; Anil Kumble has had exactly the same problem with sanctimonious critics. India’s greatest bowler, its most pugnacious captain, a man who has a traffic landmark in Bangalore named after him, had his integrity called into question merely because he started up a player management company at the same time as he became president of the Karnataka State Cricket Association.
Read the full article at the Telegraph: Much ado about nothing
- Karnataka Crisis Continues, No Trust Vote Today, Speaker Adjourns House Till Monday
- Karnataka Crisis: Congress Moves SC Against Order On Rebel MLAs
- The Man Who Killed Phoolan Devi, Borehole 'Prince', A Miracle Cop... 12 Forgotten Newsmakers
- Priyanka Gandhi Stopped On Way To Visit Sonbhadra Clash Victims, Rahul Says BJP 'Insecure'
- Outlook-ICARE India University Rankings 2019: Top 100 Universities
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- UP Government Puts Azam Khan's Name On List Of Land Mafias; Samajwadi Party Protests
- GST Officers Arrest Man For Creating 90 Fake Firms
- Three Men Lynched In Bihar Village On Suspicion Of Cattle Theft
- Google, Facebook Secretly Track As You Watch Porn: Report
- After World Bank Drops Amaravati Project, AIIB To Take A Call Next Week
- Dhoni Not No.1 Choice For India? Let Selectors Tell Him That, Says Sehwag
- PDP Leader's Personal Security Officer Shot Dead In Kashmir's Anantnag
- Tendulkar, Donald Inducted Into International Cricket Council's Hall Of Fame