Why Is Thouless Taking The Greater Share Of Nobel Prize Money?
Three scientists share this year’s Nobel Prize for Physics. Do you know how the prize money is going to be divided between the three?
“One half of the prize has been awarded to David Thouless, with Duncan Haldane and Michael Kosterlitz sharing the other half. The prize has been given “for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter”. The prize money is 8 million Kronor(which is 72700 Pound and roughly Rs 6 Cr).
According to the Nobel committee Thouless has been given a larger share because he made crucial contributions to both the advances (phase transitions and phases of matter) cited in the prize, reports The Guardian.
Topology, which was central to this year’s discoveries, explains why electrical conductivity inside thin layers changes in integer steps. Kosterlitz and Thouless studied the electrical behaviour of surfaces or inside extremely thin layers (physicists call these two-dimensional materials). Haldane studied matter that forms threads so thin they can be considered one-dimensional, reports The Guardian.
Don't get it? Watch member of Nobel committee explaining topology using a cinnamon bun, a bagel and a pretzel.
Member of the Nobel committee for physics explains topology using a cinnamon bun, a bagel and a pretzel https://t.co/gORO04UYam— The Nobel Prize (@NobelPrize) October 4, 2016
Know interesting facts about Nobel Prize in Physics:
- 18 Students Of Coaching Class Killed As Massive Fire Engulfs Surat Building
- Narendra Modi: The Bachchan of Screen and Kohli on Field
- Opinion | History Will Judge Modi Govt On How It Handles Critical Issues
- The Rise And Fall Of Pawan Chamling, India’s Longest Serving Chief Minister
- Movie Review | Forget Politics, PM Biopic Tells How Dev Anand Influenced Modi To Take To Sanyas
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May Announces Resignation After Brexit Backlash
- After LS Debacle, Slew Of Resignations On Congress Table; Rahul Too Likely To Quit
- YS Jaganmohan Reddy – Andhra's Giant Killer
- China Welcomes Modi, Imran Khan Exchange Of Greetings
- 'Gear Up For Assembly Polls, We Will Get Majority In J&K,' NC Chief Farooq Abdullah To Party Workers
- In Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati's BSP Lone Gainer Among Grand Alliance Constituents
- PM Modi Tenders Resignation Of Council Of Ministers, To Continue in Office Till Oath Ceremony
- After LS Poll Drubbing, Karnataka Cabinet Reposes Faith In Kumaraswamy