Why Is Thouless Taking The Greater Share Of Nobel Prize Money?
Three scientists share this year’s Nobel Prize for Physics. Do you know how the prize money is going to be divided between the three?
“One half of the prize has been awarded to David Thouless, with Duncan Haldane and Michael Kosterlitz sharing the other half. The prize has been given “for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter”. The prize money is 8 million Kronor(which is 72700 Pound and roughly Rs 6 Cr).
According to the Nobel committee Thouless has been given a larger share because he made crucial contributions to both the advances (phase transitions and phases of matter) cited in the prize, reports The Guardian.
Topology, which was central to this year’s discoveries, explains why electrical conductivity inside thin layers changes in integer steps. Kosterlitz and Thouless studied the electrical behaviour of surfaces or inside extremely thin layers (physicists call these two-dimensional materials). Haldane studied matter that forms threads so thin they can be considered one-dimensional, reports The Guardian.
Don't get it? Watch member of Nobel committee explaining topology using a cinnamon bun, a bagel and a pretzel.
Member of the Nobel committee for physics explains topology using a cinnamon bun, a bagel and a pretzel https://t.co/gORO04UYam— The Nobel Prize (@NobelPrize) October 4, 2016
Know interesting facts about Nobel Prize in Physics:
- Exit Poll Results: BJP To Win Big In Maharashtra, Haryana; Congress' Dry Spell To Continue
- 'Stop Attempts To Destabilise India Or...: Rajnath Warns Pakistan
- India To Sign Kartarpur Corridor Pact On Oct 23, Asks Pak To Reconsider $20 Fee
- In Kashmir, Freedom From Detention Comes At The Cost Of Silence On Article 370
- India v South Africa, Ranchi Test: IND Close In On Series Sweep
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- Maharashtra, Haryana Record Over 60% Turnout As Polling Concludes
- Artillery Strike On Pak Consistent With India's Policy Of Rapid Retribution
- 'We Will Enter Pakistan If It Continues To...': J&K Governor Satya Pal Malik
- Kerala Bypolls: Heavy Rains Play Spoilsport As Voter Turnout Falls To 58%
- If Comedy Offends Somebody, Do More Comedy: Vir Das
- India Slams Pakistan For Stopping Postal Mail Service
- ISL: Bengaluru FC 0-0 NorthEast United | Gyan Fails To Make The Difference
- WATCH: Bavuma 'Dances' To The Tune Of Debutant Nadeem In Ranchi