'White Man With [No] 9/11 Tattoo'
ERICA GOODE and SERGE F. KOVALESKI in the NYT: Wisconsin Killer Fed and Was Fueled by Hate-Driven Music:
Mark Potok, a senior fellow at the Southern Poverty Law Center, said Mr. Page had come to the center’s attention a decade ago because of his affiliation with rock bands known for lyrics that push far past the boundaries of tolerance.
“The music that comes from these bands is incredibly violent, and it talks about murdering Jews, black people, gay people and a whole host of other enemies,” Mr. Potok said. He added that in 2000, Mr. Page tried to buy unspecified goods from the National Alliance, which Mr. Potok described as a neo-Nazi organization that at the time was one of the country’s best organized and best financed hate groups.
But Mr. Potok said the center had not passed any information about Mr. Page to law enforcement.
“We were not looking at this guy as anything special until today,” he said. “He was one of thousands. We were just keeping an eye on him.”
Although little known among music fans, a steady subculture of racist and anti-Semitic rock bands has existed on the margins of punk and heavy metal in Europe and the United States since at least the 1970s. Hate groups sometimes use some of the bands and their record labels for fund-raising and recruiting, according to the law center and the Anti-Defamation League. Read on at the NYT
- 11 Killed, Over 40 Trapped Under Debris As 100-Year-Old Building Collapses In Mumbai’s Dongri
- Supreme Court To Pronounce Order On Karnataka Rebel MLAs Tomorrow
- 100-Year-Old Collapsed Building In Mumbai Was Unauthorised Construction, Says MHADA
- Assam Floods: 15 Dead, Nearly 43 Lakh Affected; 90% Of Kaziranga National Park Inundated
- No MS Dhoni In Sachin Tendulkar's World XI, Virat Kohli Makes Cut
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- PM Modi Wants Names Of Union Ministers Who Skip Parliament Duty: Reports
- Bihar Floods Kill 25 People, Affect 25.71 Lakh: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
- I Am Working As Per Constitution, Says Karnataka Assembly Speaker
- Barkha Dutt Moves NCW, Accuses Kapil Sibal's Wife Of Abusing Female Journalists At Tiranga TV
- Senior BJP Leaders Uikey, Harichandan Appointed Governors Of Chhattisgarh And Andhra Pradesh
- Death Of 66-Yr-Old Kolkata Man After Being Dragged By Metro Raises Questions About Its Safety Features
- 'If You Want Good Roads, You Have To Pay,' Says Gadkari On Toll Collection
- 'Football Doesn't Matter, Money Does,' Fans Protest Plan To Snub I-League Clubs