What Pakistanis Think
The latest survey report on Pakistan by the Pew Research Center’s Global Attitudes Project which did face-to-face interviews with 2,000 adults in Pakistan April 13 to 28, 2010 shows some interesting results. Some of those:
1. Pakistanis are "more worried about the external threat from India than extremist groups within Pakistan. When asked which is the greatest threat to their country – India, the Taliban or al Qaeda – slightly more than half of Pakistanis (53%) choose India, compared with 23% for the Taliban and just 3% for al Qaeda"
2. In its relationship with India, Kashmir is the biggest issue:
- 71% consider it a "very big problem"
- 79% say it is very important to resolve
3. But a majority also wants improved relations with India:
(As against this, 64% want "improved relations with the US"
4. Only 35% Pakistanis polled have a negative view of Lashkar-e-Taiba, a much lower percentage than for the other terror groups. One-in-four Pakistanis express a positive assessment, while 40% offer no opinion. LeT targets largely India, while others are now seen as possible threats to Pakistan itself.
4. Also worrying are the extreme views of the urban poupulation -- or at least those polled -- about law, religion and society:
- In Cutthroat Delhi, Shiela Dikshit Steered Congress With Poise And Dignity
- Sheila Dikshit, Former Delhi CM And Senior Congress Leader, Dies At 81
- Sheila Dikshit Was A Beloved Daughter Of Congress: Rahul Gandhi
- Outlook-ICARE India University Rankings: Top 100 Universities
- That's Dhoni We All Know! Ex-Captain Takes 2-Month 'Military' Break Amid Retirement Rumours
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- Didn't Know It Would Be My Last: Kejriwal Recalls Meeting Sheila Dikshit
- BJP Leader Threatens To 'Spill MP CM Kamal Nath's Blood', Gets Arrested
- Anandiben Patel Appointed UP Governor, Lalji Tandon Replaces Her In MP
- Woman Dumps Baby Girl In A Drain, Stray Dogs Save Her In Haryana
- Indonesia Open 2019: Sindhu Humbles Second Seed Yu Fei, Enters Final
- For 11 Years In A Row, Mukesh Ambani Keeps His Salary Capped At Rs 15 Crore
- MEA In Touch With Iran To Secure Release Of 18 Indians Aboard Seized British Tanker
- For The First Time, Captain And Coach Have The Power To Allow Visits From WAGs