What Happened When A Man Confronted A Random Muslim Woman About Brussels
In the aftermath of any terror attack, Muslims across the globe fear a back lash, where they would be harassed, abused and blamed for something that isn't their fault. In recent times, of course, there is a growing presence of sane voices who abhor such parochialism and reach out to victims of such racial attacks.
After the terror attacks in Belgium, it came as no surpise that a hashtag called #StopIslam started trending on Twitter. But one gentleman by the name of Matthew Doyle from London decided to confront a Muslim woman in Croydon and ask her about Brussels. And then had the gall to tweet about it.
Huffington Post UK decided to talk this genius and here's what happened:
When asked by The Huffington Post UK as to why he had chosen to approach the woman, Doyle explained that her Islamic headscarf justified approaching her.
He said: “She was wearing a flag. If I was walking down the street wearing a jacket emblazoned with a Union Jack then I would be open to some abuse.
When asked if he approaches Jewish men wearing skullcaps to question them on the ongoing Israel/Palestine situation he exclaimed: “Absolutely not!”
Doyle was slammed for his racism and for harassing a woman. He went ahead and deleted his tweet.
'I asked her to explain Brussels' -— Callie (@CallieThorpe) March 23, 2016
No you intimidated an innocent woman based on your racist prejudices https://t.co/QaSp4wCLIW
@MatthewDoyle31 Do you think that Muslim woman in Croydon represents the actions of some senseless terrorists?— Suzanne Fernandes (@suzanneshine) March 23, 2016
Racially harasses women in the street, calls himself a 'feminist'.— Sarah Misandrist (@sazza_jay) March 23, 2016
We don't want you m8. https://t.co/FiXFTBOuIg
Didn't help his case much when he continued to tweet his bigotry to the world:
Who cares if I insulted some towelhead ?? Really.— Matthew P Doyle (@MatthewDoyle31) March 23, 2016
But it wasn't all bleak. Some people got quite creative and decided to spread some joy:
@MatthewDoyle31 are you responsible for the bombing of abortion clinics in America - no more than she is for Brussels— Proud Monkey (@simonthomasdean) March 23, 2016
I confronted Croydon and asked it to explain @MatthewDoyle31. Nobody had heard of him. A mealy mouthed reply.— Rupert Myers (@RupertMyers) March 23, 2016
I confronted a dog today & asked him about that time when I was 4 and a dog bit me. “woof” he said. A mealy mouthed reply.— TechnicallyRon (@TechnicallyRon) March 23, 2016
You're more likely to be fatally crushed by furniture than killed by terrorists. Be afraid Matthew, be very afraid. https://t.co/uLrCjOA4Dg— Lina - سيرين (@Lina_Serene) March 23, 2016
I confronted a Somalian yesterday in Croydon. Asked her to explain Captain Phillips.She said "Nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.— ®a$ђaad Aтcђa™ (@ThaKingSlayer) March 23, 2016
I confronted a French woman yesterday in Croydon. I asked her to explain rien. She said "It means nothing to me". A mealy mouthed reply.— Ian Power (@IHPower) March 23, 2016
Confronted a bloke in a lab coat in Croydon. Asked him to explain cancer. He said “Nothing to do with me”. A mealy mouthed reply.— Duncan Edwards (@trabasack) March 23, 2016
I confronted a man who was eating a bowl of muesli yesterday in Croydon. He said "mmfflfffmufflrgh". A mealy mouthed reply.— Robbie Collin (@robbiereviews) March 23, 2016
I confronted an English man about the colonisation of Nigeria and the post-colonial unrest. He said "dunno mate."— kelz (@kelechnekoff) March 23, 2016
A mealy mouthed reply.
I confronted an Irish women yesterday in Camden. I asked her to explain Bono. She said "Nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.— Rob Manuel (@robmanuel) March 23, 2016
- Day Before Counting, Election Commission Rejects Opposition Demand On VVPATs
- Party Workers Keep 24-Hour Vigil Outside EVM Strongrooms Ahead Of Counting Day
- In Exit Polls Prediction, A Non-Existent AAP Candidate, 7 Seats For LJP In Bihar
- CWC 2019: There Will Be Disappointment If India Rely Too Heavily On Kohli, Warns Tendulkar
- You're Fighting For Truth, Don't Be Upset With Exit Polls: Rahul Gandhi To Party Workers
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Govt Clears Names Of Four Judges For Elevation To Supreme Court: Report
- 'Sour Losers': Paswan Slams Opposition For 'Desperation' Over VVPAT Issue
- Rahul Gandhi vs Smriti Irani, Modi vs Ajay Rai, Rajnath vs Poonam Sinha: Key Contests In UP
- In Parts Of Odisha, Cylone Fani-Affected People Forced To Repay Loans
- At NDA Meet, PM Modi Expresses Concern Over 'Needless Controversy' On EVMs
- 'Why Can't All VVPATs Be Verified, Is SC Also Involved in Rigging', Asks Udit Raj
- EC Wants To Set New Precedent Of 'Dark Secrets', 'Secluded Chambers': Congress
- Newly-elected Members Of Lok Sabha Not To Stay In Hotels: LS Secretary General