What Happened When A Man Confronted A Random Muslim Woman About Brussels
In the aftermath of any terror attack, Muslims across the globe fear a back lash, where they would be harassed, abused and blamed for something that isn't their fault. In recent times, of course, there is a growing presence of sane voices who abhor such parochialism and reach out to victims of such racial attacks.
After the terror attacks in Belgium, it came as no surpise that a hashtag called #StopIslam started trending on Twitter. But one gentleman by the name of Matthew Doyle from London decided to confront a Muslim woman in Croydon and ask her about Brussels. And then had the gall to tweet about it.
Huffington Post UK decided to talk this genius and here's what happened:
When asked by The Huffington Post UK as to why he had chosen to approach the woman, Doyle explained that her Islamic headscarf justified approaching her.
He said: “She was wearing a flag. If I was walking down the street wearing a jacket emblazoned with a Union Jack then I would be open to some abuse.
When asked if he approaches Jewish men wearing skullcaps to question them on the ongoing Israel/Palestine situation he exclaimed: “Absolutely not!”
Doyle was slammed for his racism and for harassing a woman. He went ahead and deleted his tweet.
'I asked her to explain Brussels' -— Callie (@CallieThorpe) March 23, 2016
No you intimidated an innocent woman based on your racist prejudices https://t.co/QaSp4wCLIW
@MatthewDoyle31 Do you think that Muslim woman in Croydon represents the actions of some senseless terrorists?— Suzanne Fernandes (@suzanneshine) March 23, 2016
Racially harasses women in the street, calls himself a 'feminist'.— Sarah Misandrist (@sazza_jay) March 23, 2016
We don't want you m8. https://t.co/FiXFTBOuIg
Didn't help his case much when he continued to tweet his bigotry to the world:
Who cares if I insulted some towelhead ?? Really.— Matthew P Doyle (@MatthewDoyle31) March 23, 2016
But it wasn't all bleak. Some people got quite creative and decided to spread some joy:
@MatthewDoyle31 are you responsible for the bombing of abortion clinics in America - no more than she is for Brussels— Proud Monkey (@simonthomasdean) March 23, 2016
I confronted Croydon and asked it to explain @MatthewDoyle31. Nobody had heard of him. A mealy mouthed reply.— Rupert Myers (@RupertMyers) March 23, 2016
I confronted a dog today & asked him about that time when I was 4 and a dog bit me. “woof” he said. A mealy mouthed reply.— TechnicallyRon (@TechnicallyRon) March 23, 2016
You're more likely to be fatally crushed by furniture than killed by terrorists. Be afraid Matthew, be very afraid. https://t.co/uLrCjOA4Dg— Lina - سيرين (@Lina_Serene) March 23, 2016
I confronted a Somalian yesterday in Croydon. Asked her to explain Captain Phillips.She said "Nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.— ®a$ђaad Aтcђa™ (@ThaKingSlayer) March 23, 2016
I confronted a French woman yesterday in Croydon. I asked her to explain rien. She said "It means nothing to me". A mealy mouthed reply.— Ian Power (@IHPower) March 23, 2016
Confronted a bloke in a lab coat in Croydon. Asked him to explain cancer. He said “Nothing to do with me”. A mealy mouthed reply.— Duncan Edwards (@trabasack) March 23, 2016
I confronted a man who was eating a bowl of muesli yesterday in Croydon. He said "mmfflfffmufflrgh". A mealy mouthed reply.— Robbie Collin (@robbiereviews) March 23, 2016
I confronted an English man about the colonisation of Nigeria and the post-colonial unrest. He said "dunno mate."— kelz (@kelechnekoff) March 23, 2016
A mealy mouthed reply.
I confronted an Irish women yesterday in Camden. I asked her to explain Bono. She said "Nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.— Rob Manuel (@robmanuel) March 23, 2016
- Karnataka Crisis: Governor Presses CM Kumaraswamy To Prove Majority By 1:30 PM
- World Bank 'Drops' Naidu's Ambitious Amaravati Project; Pulls Out $300 Mn
- Karnataka BJP Lawmakers Sleep In Assembly To Stage Protest Against Delay In Floor Test
- Pakistan To Grant Consular Access To Kulbushan Jadhav According To Their Laws: MEA
- Foundation Laid By Previous Govts Will Make India A USD 5 Trillion Economy: Pranab Mukherjee
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- Analysis| Is Hafiz Saeed's Arrest By Pakistan Mere Cosmetic Move Or There Is More To It?
- ICC Suspends Zimbabwe From International Cricket
- Khalistan Agenda, Burning Of Tricolour During Sikh Pilgrimage: India Warns Pakistan
- Cops Didn't Allow Me To Take Father's Body To Srinagar Due To Amarnath Traffic: Kashmiri Govt Official
- Lust, Money & Masala Dosa - When The Stars Didn't Bless Saravana Bhavan Boss P Rajagopal
- Tendulkar, Donald, Fitzpatrick Inducted Into ICC Hall of Fame
- Triple Talaq Petitioner Threatened For Attending Hanuman Chalisa Recital In Hijab
- SunRisers Hyderabad Rope In England's World Cup-Winning Coach Trevor Bayliss