What Happened When A Man Confronted A Random Muslim Woman About Brussels
In the aftermath of any terror attack, Muslims across the globe fear a back lash, where they would be harassed, abused and blamed for something that isn't their fault. In recent times, of course, there is a growing presence of sane voices who abhor such parochialism and reach out to victims of such racial attacks.
After the terror attacks in Belgium, it came as no surpise that a hashtag called #StopIslam started trending on Twitter. But one gentleman by the name of Matthew Doyle from London decided to confront a Muslim woman in Croydon and ask her about Brussels. And then had the gall to tweet about it.
Huffington Post UK decided to talk this genius and here's what happened:
When asked by The Huffington Post UK as to why he had chosen to approach the woman, Doyle explained that her Islamic headscarf justified approaching her.
He said: “She was wearing a flag. If I was walking down the street wearing a jacket emblazoned with a Union Jack then I would be open to some abuse.
When asked if he approaches Jewish men wearing skullcaps to question them on the ongoing Israel/Palestine situation he exclaimed: “Absolutely not!”
Doyle was slammed for his racism and for harassing a woman. He went ahead and deleted his tweet.
'I asked her to explain Brussels' -— Callie (@CallieThorpe) March 23, 2016
No you intimidated an innocent woman based on your racist prejudices https://t.co/QaSp4wCLIW
@MatthewDoyle31 Do you think that Muslim woman in Croydon represents the actions of some senseless terrorists?— Suzanne Fernandes (@suzanneshine) March 23, 2016
Racially harasses women in the street, calls himself a 'feminist'.— Sarah Misandrist (@sazza_jay) March 23, 2016
We don't want you m8. https://t.co/FiXFTBOuIg
Didn't help his case much when he continued to tweet his bigotry to the world:
Who cares if I insulted some towelhead ?? Really.— Matthew P Doyle (@MatthewDoyle31) March 23, 2016
But it wasn't all bleak. Some people got quite creative and decided to spread some joy:
@MatthewDoyle31 are you responsible for the bombing of abortion clinics in America - no more than she is for Brussels— Proud Monkey (@simonthomasdean) March 23, 2016
I confronted Croydon and asked it to explain @MatthewDoyle31. Nobody had heard of him. A mealy mouthed reply.— Rupert Myers (@RupertMyers) March 23, 2016
I confronted a dog today & asked him about that time when I was 4 and a dog bit me. “woof” he said. A mealy mouthed reply.— TechnicallyRon (@TechnicallyRon) March 23, 2016
You're more likely to be fatally crushed by furniture than killed by terrorists. Be afraid Matthew, be very afraid. https://t.co/uLrCjOA4Dg— Lina - سيرين (@Lina_Serene) March 23, 2016
I confronted a Somalian yesterday in Croydon. Asked her to explain Captain Phillips.She said "Nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.— ®a$ђaad Aтcђa™ (@ThaKingSlayer) March 23, 2016
I confronted a French woman yesterday in Croydon. I asked her to explain rien. She said "It means nothing to me". A mealy mouthed reply.— Ian Power (@IHPower) March 23, 2016
Confronted a bloke in a lab coat in Croydon. Asked him to explain cancer. He said “Nothing to do with me”. A mealy mouthed reply.— Duncan Edwards (@trabasack) March 23, 2016
I confronted a man who was eating a bowl of muesli yesterday in Croydon. He said "mmfflfffmufflrgh". A mealy mouthed reply.— Robbie Collin (@robbiereviews) March 23, 2016
I confronted an English man about the colonisation of Nigeria and the post-colonial unrest. He said "dunno mate."— kelz (@kelechnekoff) March 23, 2016
A mealy mouthed reply.
I confronted an Irish women yesterday in Camden. I asked her to explain Bono. She said "Nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply.— Rob Manuel (@robmanuel) March 23, 2016
- Congress, BJP Walk Out Of All-Party Meet On Sabarimala
- After Protests, EC Removes Mizoram's Chief Electoral Officer
- In Flexing For More Autonomy, RBI Runs Into Govt’s Plans
- India’s 'First Ever' Tiger Translocation Project Stalled After Royal Bengal Tiger Found Dead In Odisha
- Blog | From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- The Relevance of Shah Rukh Khan Long After We’ve Stopped Running Through Mustard Fields
- Is India Different From Pakistan?
- Here's How Smriti Irani Describes 'Long' Wait For DeepVeer Wedding Pictures
- Congress Lost Its Credibility, Says Rajnath Singh In Poll-Bound Chhattisgarh
- India, China Hold Dialogue, Agree To Step Up Military Exchanges
- Maneka Gandhi Orders Probe After #MeToo Cases Surface In All India Radio
- After UK Brexit Minister Resignation, Pound Plunges Up To 1% Against Dollar, Euro
- Don't Think Current Indian Side Is Better Than Ones I Played Against: Steve Waugh
- Signature Bridge Scuffle: Arvind Kejriwal Named As Accused In FIR Filed By Manoj Tiwari
- Delhi: Fashion Designer, Domestic Help killed In Vasant Kunj Double Murder