What Anna Hazare Movement Achieved
S.L. Rao in the Telegraph:
Many people have written off the Anna Hazare movement against corruption. They are blind to the effects already visible in orders, policies and procedures. Hazare brought together the widespread disgust against the pervading corruption in our society and the apparent freedom from punishment of those identified as culpable. All political parties and the government combined in a coordinated way to discredit ‘Team Anna’ and to diminish his influence. Public disgust and anger remain and will express itself in votes cast at elections, and also when a new movement is launched by a more sophisticated public leader, who will not express himself in the crude way that Hazare frequently did. Such a movement will make full use of the internet and the social media, having learnt from the viral spread of the song, “Why this Kolaveri di”.
Dramatic changes have already occurred in a number of areas. They will make things more difficult for the corrupt minister and bureaucrat as well as for the incompetent bureaucrat.
Read the full article at the Telegraph: Fruits of Public Anger
- Ayodhya Verdict Bears Stamp Of Contemporary Indian Politics, Majoritarian Rule Looms Large
- Top Officials Skip Key Parliamentary Meet On Pollution
- INX Case: No Relief For Chidambaram, Court Says Bail Will Send 'Wrong Message'
- Maha CM Will Be From Sena In Three-Party Alliance Govt, Says Nawab Malik
- Beating Fear Of Failure Has Made Me Hungrier – Mayank
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- Bollywood’s Double Whammy For Bald People Is Regressive, Not Cool
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- Amnesty India Offices ln Bengaluru, Delhi Raided By CBI
- 'Modinomics Stinks So Bad', Says Rahul Gandhi On NSO Survey Revelation
- 'Press Has Been Kind To My Office', Says CJI Gogoi But Declines Interviews
- Kejriwal Announces Free Septic Tank Cleaning Service For Unauthorised Colonies
- Hindu Mahasabha Demands Godse's Court Statements In MP Textbooks
- 'Inform Govt To Read Extremely Important Dissent Order In Sabarimala Verdict': Justice Nariman
- WATCH: Jayed Removes Kohli For Rare Duck
- IPL: Smith To Lead Rajasthan Royals, Mumbai Indians Retain Malinga