'We Have Just Shot Down A Plane'
The audio released by Ukrainian intelligence agency — the State Security Service, known as the S.B.U. — said to be the audio from intercepted phone calls between separatists and Russian military intelligence officers, in which they appear to be acknowledging shooting down a civilian plane.
THe link to this YouTube audio with English subtitles, edited and provided by the S.B.U., was sent by the Ukrainian foreign ministry to reporters.
Kyiv Post provided a translation of the Russian audio, with the following commentary and full transcript:
Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200 flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was allegedly shot down by a group of Russian-backed Cossack militants near the village of Chornukhine, Luhansk Oblast, some 80 kilometers north-west of Donetsk, according to recordings of intercepted phone calls between Russian military intelligence officers and members of terrorist groups, released by the country’s security agency (SBU).
One phone call apparently was made at 4:40 p.m. Kyiv time, or 20 minutes after the plane crash, by Igor Bezler, who the SBU says is a Russian military intelligence officer and leading commander of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic. He reports to a person identified by Ukraine’s SBU as a colonel in the main intelligence department of the general headquarters of the armed forces of the Russian Federation Vasili Geranin regarding the shot down plane, which is about to be examined by the militants.
The second intercepted conversation released by the Security Service of Ukraine was apparently between militants nicknamed “Major” and “Greek” immediately upon inspection of the crash site.
“It’s 100 percent a passenger (civilian) aircraft,” Major is recorded as saying, as he admitted to seeing no weapons on site. “Absolutely nothing. Civilian items, medicinal stuff, towels, toilet paper.”
In the third part of conversation Cossack commander Nikolay Kozitsin talking to an unidentified militant cynically suggests that the Malaysia Airlines airplane could've been carrying spies, as, otherwise, it would have no business flying in that area.
Read the full transcript of an intercepted phone call below:
Igor Bezler: We have just shot down a plane. Group Minera. It fell down beyond Yenakievo (Donetsk Oblast).
Vasili Geranin: Pilots. Where are the pilots?
IB: Gone to search for and photograph the plane. Its smoking.
VG: How many minutes ago?
IB: About 30 minutes ago.
SBU comment: After examining the site of the plane the terrorists come to the conclusion that they have shot down a civilian plane. The next part of the conversation took place about 40 minutes later.
“Major”: These are Chernukhin folks who shot down the plane. From the Chernukhin check point. Those cossacks who are based in Chernukhino.
“Grek”: Yes, Major.
"Major": The plane fell apart in the air. In the area of Petropavlovskaya mine. The first “200” (code word for dead person). We have found the first “200”. A Civilian.
“Greek”: Well, what do you have there?
“Major”: In short, it was 100 percent a passenger (civilian) aircraft.
“Greek”: Are many people there?
“Major”: Holy sh__t! The debris fell right into the yards (of homes).
“Greek”: What kind of aircraft?
“Major”: I haven’t ascertained this. I haven’t been to the main sight. I am only surveying the scene where the first bodies fell. There are the remains of internal brackets, seats and bodies.
“Greek”: Is there anything left of the weapon?
“Major”: Absolutely nothing. Civilian items, medicinal stuff, towels, toilet paper.
“Greek”: Are there documents?
“Major”: Yes, of one Indonesian student. From a university in Thompson.
Militant: Regarding the plane shot down in the area of Snizhne-Torez. It’s a civilian one. Fell down near Grabove. There are lots of corpses of women and children. The Cossacks are out there looking at all this.
They say on TV it’s AN-26 transport plane, but they say it’s written Malaysia Airlines on the plane. What was it doing on Ukraine’s territory?
Nikolay Kozitsin: That means they were carrying spies. They shouldn’t be f…cking flying. There is a war going on.
- Exit Poll Results: BJP To Win Big In Maharashtra, Haryana; Congress' Dry Spell To Continue
- 'Stop Attempts To Destabilise India Or...: Rajnath Warns Pakistan
- India To Sign Kartarpur Corridor Pact On Oct 23, Asks Pak To Reconsider $20 Fee
- In Kashmir, Freedom From Detention Comes At The Cost Of Silence On Article 370
- India v South Africa, Ranchi Test: IND Close In On Series Sweep
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- Maharashtra, Haryana Record Over 60% Turnout As Polling Concludes
- Artillery Strike On Pak Consistent With India's Policy Of Rapid Retribution
- 'We Will Enter Pakistan If It Continues To...': J&K Governor Satya Pal Malik
- Kerala Bypolls: Heavy Rains Play Spoilsport As Voter Turnout Falls To 58%
- If Comedy Offends Somebody, Do More Comedy: Vir Das
- India Slams Pakistan For Stopping Postal Mail Service
- ISL: Bengaluru FC 0-0 NorthEast United | Gyan Fails To Make The Difference
- WATCH: Bavuma 'Dances' To The Tune Of Debutant Nadeem In Ranchi